New problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I drove my truck to Home Depot yesterday. Fired her up and it was running a little rough. Got my stuff and went to start her and she was cranking very slow and would not start. My daughter picked me up and I got a new battery since mine was old. Put the new battery in and the same thing. I took out the starter, benched tested it and it's fine, less than a year old. My buddy came by to help out. I had previously cleaned all the grounds but when I cleaned the negative ground at the block she started right up. Drove her home, turned her off and she did the same slow crank, no start. Any suggestions on where to look next? Could the neg battery cable have **** the bed? Figured I'd ask here before just replacing parts. Thanks!!

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
How old are the Battery Cable ??

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sounds like corroded cables, if so battery won't get a good charge either..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
And this isn't a vapor lock issue? Hot or warm motor, slow crank. Cools off, starts up just fine?

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I replaced both battery cables, new battery, new starter, and it still cranks over very slow like the battery is on it's last legs and won't start. It had been running fine before hand. Timing is set right. What else can I check?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
How's the grounds between the engine and body?

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
All good. When I got the truck last year I went through them all and cleaned them.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
If you detach the starter from the engine does it spin fast?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Have you checked them recently? Only reason I ask, I had an s-10 that the engine ground kept loosening up on. Eventually had to use thread lock.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I feel like you could verify that it's a starter wiring problem with a higher degree of certainty by using a remote starter switch if you have one or know someone who does. All you gotta do is hook one alligator to the positive battery terminal, the other one on the solenoid 'S' terminal, and pull the trigger. This will work assuming there aren't any grounding issues. I have one at home, and if it were me, I'd just play and see what it did. Even though grounding sounds like a likely culprit, I know you know your truck better than anyone. I'm wondering, though, about continuity from the ignition switch to the starter. I'm also wondering about why it was running rough.

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I feel like you could verify that it's a starter wiring problem with a higher degree of certainty by using a remote starter switch if you have one or know someone who does. All you gotta do is hook one alligator to the positive battery terminal, the other one on the solenoid 'S' terminal, and pull the trigger. This will work assuming there aren't any grounding issues. I have one at home, and if it were me, I'd just play and see what it did. Even though grounding sounds like a likely culprit, I know you know your truck better than anyone. I'm wondering, though, about continuity from the ignition switch to the starter. I'm also wondering about why it was running rough.

Good idea. I'll pick one up now. My Son-in-Law works at Autozone.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
My truck has a similar issue to this: hard start when hot. Slow crank, stalls, slow crank, stalls, then fires right up.

Read something on it, and remember one of the guys say that the battery cable itself to the starter is corroded inside or gets heat soaked. So that it's fine when it's cold, but as soon as it's hot, there's too much resistance in the cable to turn the starter and/or fire up the truck.

Just a thought, but throw a ohmmeter across the cables cold & warm to see if there's a noticeable increase in resistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB