New old 79 K10 looking for info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yea i was going to short cut one more time and put a filter in befor the pump cus it looks like there is a small filter after the pump then i did read that there was a filter in the carb also huh? Next question....wat does a guy do with roughly 10+ wat evers in the other tank gallons of old ass gas? lol, big old bonfire.

This truck being full-time 4x4... (i guess i never did look) but thos hubs get serveced too? cus they are auto locking hubs.

Those front hubs from factory should be locked all the time unless somebody put aftermarket hubs on. So if you drive with somebody watching or jack a front wheel up and spin a tire by hand you should see the axle shaft spin.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yea i was going to short cut one more time and put a filter in befor the pump cus it looks like there is a small filter after the pump then i did read that there was a filter in the carb also huh? Next question....wat does a guy do with roughly 10+ wat evers in the other tank gallons of old ass gas? lol, big old bonfire.
Use it up in a lawnmower, lol...

I personally don't think Full Time is as bad as people make it out to be.

I had many trucks with that setup and enjoyed it that way. :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Naww, that bad gas, is just weed killer or paint stripper now. Pretty much will be Green Turpentine. I'd try to siphon most of it out. If a couple gallons get left in the tank but it gets filled up with fresh gas, it'll burn off OK, but might run like **** till it's all gone.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30, Scottsdale K20, Silverado C10, Silverado V10, Silverado V20
Engine Size
400ci, 350ci, 350ci, TBI 350ci, TBI 350ci
Awww so the loc is the drive shafts and i prolli don't have lsd in the rear but thos hubs locking is that its self solid front then as in power to 3 wheels or stil no matter wat power to 2?

As for the full-time 4x4 yea i think its kinda sweet, i have a daily driver so this is for fun and hunting. Ill put some pic's up tonight guys, i got my new carpet to put in tonight so the cab came real clean (it was so bad, spiders and all omg). Im also giving what paint is left a good buff job lol looks tons better spite the rust lol. Just need to get rid of that fugly propain tank. You guys know wat lol that is a 110gal take and combined with the two fuel tanks... wat are thos bot 20gal? thats one hell of a road trip on one fill up (even at like 10-12mpg).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Exactly, the LOC is for basically locking the driveshafts so to speak, so you're guarenteed at least 2wd, 1 in front, 1 in rear. Now if you have lockers in your front and rear diffs, then yes, you'd have a true 4 wheel drive. Some guys just get a locker in the rear, some just get a locker or weld the spiders in the front which I don't suggest, Some get lockers in both, and some get locker in the rear and limited slip in the front. I'd say locker in the rear and lsd in the front is best of those who still want driveability on the street in light snow and those who don't want to feel or fight with alot of torque steer in the front end. I"ve got an air locker for my front my diff that I acquired, and I"m not going to pass up using it, so I'll use that instead of the lad. I'll leave it off on the streets, and when off road, I'll hit the swtich and lock it up and have true 4x4. So that's the plan anyway. You can spend a fortune getting your axles set up the way you want.

But, you'll get some guys talking down your full time system, but it's really not all that bad IMO. But, it is important to understand how the system works. For example if you break your front axle or driveshaft, then in any other Tcase, you'd go to 2 hi and go home. IN your case, in 4Hi, you won't move since the differentiation transfer case is going to find the wheel with the broken axle as least traction and run that axle that can't move obviously because of a broken part. So to get home, you'll need to 4HI Loc it so the Tcase will drive your back axle. but keep in mind, it's also driving your front axle too, so whatever the case may be, you might have to pull that front driveshaft or tear up even more stuff.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Awww so the loc is the drive shafts and i prolli don't have lsd in the rear but thos hubs locking is that its self solid front then as in power to 3 wheels or stil no matter wat power to 2?

As for the full-time 4x4 yea i think its kinda sweet, i have a daily driver so this is for fun and hunting. Ill put some pic's up tonight guys, i got my new carpet to put in tonight so the cab came real clean (it was so bad, spiders and all omg). Im also giving what paint is left a good buff job lol looks tons better spite the rust lol. Just need to get rid of that fugly propain tank. You guys know wat lol that is a 110gal take and combined with the two fuel tanks... wat are thos bot 20gal? thats one hell of a road trip on one fill up (even at like 10-12mpg).

I would take that propane system off too, but I wouldn't let it get to far. Never know when the economic value might turn around. :roflbow: And then people wonder why I have so much **** sitting around. Ok, OK, but it's only auto parts that I hoard, and most are NOT in the house.

New Carpet? :wtf: It's a 4x4 hunting rig. Black rubber mat Dawg, not Carpet. Get some of that silver backed sound insulation barrier, put that down first, and then the OEM rubber matt, and that's the ultimate set up in a 4x4. I'd even do that in my nice 2wd Silverado with a headliner. Guess I just like easy to ckean floors. Get in with muddy boots, snow whatever the hell, and no damn worries. That's just me though. I like clean, but I like easy to clean too.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I should have went with the rubber mat, installing that carpet sucked, looks good tho. Tomorow night i need to look at the brakes on my rig, the fronts kinda work but the rears do not. The fluid is full and i think it needs some bleeding but it got me thinking, how hard would it be to put disks in the rear? or not worth it?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, the carpet does look good, and it also give a bit more sound barrier and temp control too, so it has it's advantages. Just get you a good set of floor mats. The kind that are like a tray and hold water instead of letting liquids roll off of it into your carpet.

Disk brake conversions are pretty common these days. Sometimes you can ever retrofit your current axles with backing plates and brake hardware from much later model trucks in the salvage yards. Might be a good thread to fire up, explain what you have, what axles etc, and see what other members have come up with.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yea cus i seem to recall seeing a guy with an older like 69...ish c20 with modern chevy rims and disk's behind that. Looked very good.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
It is definitely easier to switch to disc brakes nowadays. I got a front conversion kit for my '65. All the components in the kit are from '73-'87 squares! Control arms are the same, just needed to switch the ball joints and spindle. Then slap on the rotors and bolt up the rest. There is a little tweaking of the pedal in the cab for the booster, and running new steel lines, but a very straight forward process. Should be something similar available for the back of your '79 square.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Here's my 79 just pulled out of the weeds and a bath.

Attachments

• 79-1.jpg
    79-1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 79-2.jpg
    79-2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 133
  • 79-3.jpg
    79-3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 131

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Nice!

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So my yota has a 2"-3" lift and has 33"s with better life than these, 33x10.5-15. Anyone know with this ride hight can i throw them on this and get me a new set for the yota before winter?

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
So just cus im excitied im all done with the dirty work and just down to fixing the back fire here is were im sitting, All buffed out, removed propaine junk under the hood and ugly tank, new air cleaner, fuel filter, rotor, cap, plugs, wires, fuel pump. Replaced all vacum and emmision hoses and rerouted them to look better along with new heater hoses then new master cylinder, new front bleeders, cleaned front rotors and brake pads, cleaned and pack front hubs, replaced all rear brake lines, rear brakes, springs, pistons, and drums. Flushed engine oil and filter, front diff, rear diff, transfer case, and flushed tranny and filter. Replaced rear right leaf spring pack, installed new carpet and shampooed seat and polished dash and black bezzels. And im sure im forgeting other odds and ends but thats the bulk of it since i became a member here and with alot of your guys's help so i wanna thank you guys so far.

Attachments

• Photo0153.jpg
    Photo0153.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Photo0155.jpg
    Photo0155.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 134

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So my yota has a 2"-3" lift and has 33"s with better life than these, 33x10.5-15. Anyone know with this ride hight can i throw them on this and get me a new set for the yota before winter?

I'm a bit confused here. Are you asking if you 33x10'50x15's will fit your square without a lift? Yes if that's the question.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris