New Member BIRDMAN - Forum Features

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIRDMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about implementing Tagging on here? I know of other vBulletin boards that have tagging implemented and they say it's just an option that they enable and it helps when there's a thread that you know that another user would have helpful insight on and you want to draw their attention to it.
the "tags" system is already in place on this forum. look toward the bottom of this thread, i just added a tag :). if you meant something else let me know but adding those tags creates a tag cloud for users to search.
I've also seen "Likes" like on facebook, I think that would be cool.
The vB Like system is a function of a program called vBSEO which is a program that helps vBulletin forums optimize for search engines like Google. If we install vBSEO on this forum then we can enable the Like system. I agree, I "LIKE" the "LIKE" feature :grd:
x2!! :) FSC has that implemented on theirs and I like it. Between the Likes and the Tagging features those would be two big improvements :)

yes

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
the "tags" system is already in place on this forum. look toward the bottom of this thread, i just added a tag :). if you meant something else let me know but adding those tags creates a tag cloud for users to search.

What I mean is if I'm commenting on a topic I can put something like @Birdman in the comment and at that point the person "tagged" (in this case you) will be notified that you've been mentioned and can go to that thread to comment further. It really helps out if someone brings up a subject in a thread that we know a certain member is very knowledgeable on and to get them to that thread to help the OP out. Does that make sense? It's much different than the thread tagging at the bottom.

BIRDMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I mean is if I'm commenting on a topic I can put something like @Birdman in the comment and at that point the person "tagged" (in this case you) will be notified that you've been mentioned and can go to that thread to comment further. It really helps out if someone brings up a subject in a thread that we know a certain member is very knowledgeable on and to get them to that thread to help the OP out. Does that make sense? It's much different than the thread tagging at the bottom.

ah, gotcha. i know what you mean i can talk to the Shag man about that as well

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
ah, gotcha. i know what you mean i can talk to the Shag man about that as well

:waytogo: sounds great! If you want me to PM you an URL of an example of where I've seen it used let me know. This would also be good to use over on Shaggy's other forums as well. I'd personally like to see it on TYF.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What's up fellas sorry I missed this thread. I'm here to help out Shaggy with the forum stuff. If there's any suggestions you have feel free to shoot them at me. You guys want TapaTalk? I might be able to make that happen :).

Yep, TapaTalk would be cool. It was brought up almost a year ago without any results, but it's a wanted feature for several.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=833

The TapaTalk and FB features would be good.

How about implementing Tagging on here? I know of other vBulletin boards that have tagging implemented and they say it's just an option that they enable and it helps when there's a thread that you know that another user would have helpful insight on and you want to draw their attention to it.

Tagging? I thought we already had tagging? I already add tags to the threads, and have encouraged members to do the same since they also have access to do that so threads are found in search engines and it promotes the site. Or are we talking about something different?

I've also seen "Likes" like on facebook, I think that would be cool.

Yep, in this day and age, have to be integrated with FB to keep up with the big boys !!!

I hope not too, this forum IMO is taking pretty good care of itself. Maybe he was inlisted to integrate tapatalk or something?

Also true. Other than some minor issues with occasional member bashing which is usually dealt with quickly since we're not out to be the next Pirate 4x4 where they have has many negative posts as they do positive, OK, I exaggerated a little, but I've seen some pretty rough stuff on Pirate. About all the needs to be done here is just steer the ship. Some Admin help to implement some new features would be good though. Certainly that can be done without making waves. :High 5:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Tagging? I thought we already had tagging? I already add tags to the threads, and have encouraged members to do the same since they also have access to do that so threads are found in search engines and it promotes the site. Or are we talking about something different?

We're talking about something different. Refer to my previous post to Birdman :) What i'm talking about is say someone asks a question about Transmissions in a thread that has nothing to do with transmissions but I think you'd have the information to help the Member. In the response to the question I could simply put in @HotRodPC somewhere in my response and you'd get notified that you were mentioned. That way you would know to go to that thread and give the user the info he needs. It's different than the thread tagging :)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
We're talking about something different. Refer to my previous post to Birdman :) What i'm talking about is say someone asks a question about Transmissions in a thread that has nothing to do with transmissions but I think you'd have the information to help the Member. In the response to the question I could simply put in @HotRodPC somewhere in my response and you'd get notified that you were mentioned. That way you would know to go to that thread and give the user the info he needs. It's different than the thread tagging :)

Ahh, now that is a good feature. Cuz I pretty much know who the go to guys are for most things needed. Like Pops for -E transmissions, C4 for 4x4 Dshaft and U joint isses, Old77 for Dakota Digital or later seat model upgrade etc, Retro for electronic mods, bucket for ...... and so on. :waytogo:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
:waytogo: don't forget 89Sub for fishing and general BSing :lol:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:waytogo: don't forget 89Sub for fishing and general BSing :lol:

That list can go on and on, so don't anyone be offended if you got left out, 89S has also done some write ups, changed TBI heads, Imann with clutch, foamy for obvious, etc etc etc, Even Dave, our "special J-XXXX tool" expert along with sharpening mower blades. Just about everyone here on a regular basis brings something to the table. As I've said before, NONE of us know everything, but as a group, we damn sure do know everything, and if not, know where to get it.

While on this subject, and the subject of adding features, I know Vbulletin has a reputation feature too. I think it would be cool to implement that, so the members can get their kudos. :High 5:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
oooohhh....I like kudos! :popcorn:

:D

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The only bad thing is, a member can post negative too. And some members are idiots and can take down another members reputaion. So If I say Red is my favorite color, and some asshat likes Blue better, then he may rate me down because he likes Blue. That isn't the purpose of the system but some ********* use it like that.
It's intended to work as if someone would say, to beef up a 4L60-E, use the Beast Sunshell... then give the guy kudos, but then if some idiot comes in and Says 4l60-E's suck and not worth upgrading, then you'd give him a negative, because in fact a 4L60-E can be a decent, not good, but decent transmission with some mods. Now that I think of it, maybe it's not a good idea. We'd have idiots giving bad reps just in disagreements and that's not what its for. Negative should only be given if someone posts someting profoundly stupid.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Can we limit a user to be able to only add one point either up or down at a time so that they can't completely trash his rep because of their childish games?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, the program does that automatically. You can only give kudos to a person, then if you try again, it says you must participate and give other members reputation before you can do that same person again. It's actually great if used right. It's actually intended for something profound that someone does. LIke a write up thread, or an over the top great tip or something of that nature. And same goes for the negative.
If someone posts, my truck won't start ..... and someone suggests, have you checked your tire pressure lately? Then of course give that ******* a negative since that has nothing whatsoever about the vehcile starting. Very simple really.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You would be surprised how much the rep would be used by non posting and minimum posting members also, it get's them involved. And you can leave a message with the rep, which gives it a personal touch and creates a type of camaraderie. There is also a "Thanks Button" that can be implemented that a user can hit and leave his/her name on the bottom of the "Thanked" post. This will also cut down on the tons of two or three word posts or smiley posts that are used just to respond to a thread to show you are watching or interested. So it will help clean up threads a bit. You know what I mean when you see 2 pages of a thread of several members in a row saying "Nice Job" or "Thanks for the info" or the like. It also makes it easier for users on a portable device, it will save them from having to type a response. They can just hit a button.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels