New kid from Alaska.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
So I had no idea that this forum existed, but am glad it does! Not new to wrenching or to these trucks, but new to the one I just bought. I have to give a quiet hand to ifsja.org and fsjnetwork.com to giving me a good start in why forums are so awesome, I am also a really bad full size jeep nut!

As to the current project:
1983 V2500 Suburban, 350 with a new(ish) edelbrock 1406, SM465 4 speed, NP208 Transfer Case, 10 bolt front and 14 bolt rear. Body is all there and mostly functional. For $1000 I couldn't pass it up.

Things done so far:
Okay, so I had the choking out issue of a lifetime that I finally got fixed. At first it resembled a bad timing issue, like it was over advancing when I put load on the motor. Would idle and run beautifully when parked, but try and go down the road and it would crap out and die. Fought with adjusting the dizzy constantly just to get home. SO, now EVERYTHING in the ignition is brand new and correct. Problem solved? Oh God no. Wound up being a collapsed vacuum passage in the Quadrajet, blocking off entirely the ability for the secondaries to open. $40 swap deal later and Ta-Da! New Eddy on the motor. Runs awesome now.
Of course, as soon as it is running great (like on the very first test drive with the new carb) the "Oh yeah, its got a full spool in the rear" lincolned locked rear detonates and sends pieces through the rear diff cover. Great. I'll post some pics in a little while. Run it down to local drivetrain shop because I'm going to the field and $2100 later I have a brand new rear end with a new Eaton Limited slip, the front end inspected and tightened up, and a new respect for doing the work myself. Really good shop though, highly recommend their work if you have the money.

Things on the Priority list:
New windshield
Fine tune the tune up. May have to re-install the Accel dizzy, pretty sure I'm off one tooth and while it runs good, I am out of advance adjustment and it could still use a couple degrees on initial.
Front left Ball joint, its worn and needs done soon.
Front diff, good for now but noisy everytime its in 4x4, worn and getting an LSD just like the rear.
Radio and some trim work inside.
New tires, moving back to Wyoming this fall and gonna need some new rubber before we go.
Put a muffler back on, old one was cut off after being bent in half.

Otherwise, quite happy with the rig! And I will start a Not a build thread, Build thread, as I get work done on it. Oh, and the truck in the background is my other DD/weekend warrior, a rather awesomely built '79 Wagoneer. Thanks!!

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
welcome to the site. you've got a decent list there.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome: from
You must be registered for see images attach

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Well Hello!

Hey, whadya know? I was a Marine once, and young. Now, I'm just an old blown up Army Grunt that is getting ready to get out. These are my two favorite rigs, straight axle suburbans and Wagoneers/Cherokee Chiefs. Especially with four kids, wife, and a black lab that's gotta go everywhere we go. Suburban is actually the wife's truck, mine is the Jeep. So, build plans are a little different. Suburban is to be a fully capable and functional family hauler and hunting rig that my 5'2" wife can get into with kids. Jeep on the other hand, is a full out hunting and wheeling rig meant to go where I probably shouldn't. It's on a spring over/shackle flip and 33's, detriots in both ends, and a really nicely put together 401. Just needs its transmission completely rebuilt, and swapping to a dana 20 (twinsticked of course!) would be a nice touch, as well as maybe some straight sheet metal...but hey, thats the hobby, right?

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
See if this works...

Lets see...

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0051.jpg
    IMG_0051.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 81

John81287

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB !!! Let's see a build thread fired up in the Under Construction section on this one. I'd like to see how you eskimoes get things done. :waytogo:

attachment.php

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Eskimo's? I wish, I'm a little worse than that, just a dumb infantryman stationed in Alaska. I'm not doing a no kidding build on this per se, not until I get back down to Wyoming after I leave the Army later this year. Right now is more of the just kinda has to get done before driving 5,000 miles through the middle of nowhere stuff. Some of it is kinda big, but I kinda have to go cheap on some of this, as us dumb grunts still don't make a ton. Not bad, but not great. I'll try and get a few more pics posted tonight, these are bound to make ya laugh. In the build section of course!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Eskimo's? I wish, I'm a little worse than that, just a dumb infantryman stationed in Alaska. I'm not doing a no kidding build on this per se, not until I get back down to Wyoming after I leave the Army later this year. Right now is more of the just kinda has to get done before driving 5,000 miles through the middle of nowhere stuff. Some of it is kinda big, but I kinda have to go cheap on some of this, as us dumb grunts still don't make a ton. Not bad, but not great. I'll try and get a few more pics posted tonight, these are bound to make ya laugh. In the build section of course!

huh? :shrug: You don't sleep in a dome shaped room made of snow and ice??? :hmm:

:laughing1: Jus Kiddin' of course. BTW, Thanks for your service. In war zone or not, it's still a sacrifice to be deployed away from home and ready to defend. :patriot:

I'll be looking forward to that build thread. :waytogo:

MonsterZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban v2500
Engine Size
Thanks HotRod, like most guys here I've deployed many times, and had my fill many times over. What makes it worth it is communities like this and the guys I get to work with. It is time for me to hang it up though finally, and come home. And yes, there have been times I've lived in little "houses" made of snow and ice! Makes you really appreciate a heater and a mason jar of "stuff" when you're done too.

zieg85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
7.4L
4 speed Suburban, sweet!!! Welcome!!!

Latest posts