New here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel
Well obviously I'm new here, but not to these trucks... I'm currently in the middle of a BIG project on my '89 V2500 Burb... It's getting a 4L80E swapped in, as well as converting to the electric speedo cluster, and adding RWAL. I've already done an electronic cruise control conversion ditching the vac setup. The only thing left that needs vac is the HVAC controls right now.... If I can come up with a way to convert that eventually I probably will...

I've got a build thread going on 2 other forums for what I'm doing that I can link if wanted... Just found this forum and it looks like it's got some good info for these trucks.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
:welcome:

Sounds like you're on your way to having a killer burb.

gotta any pics of this burb?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome aboard Joe !!! Happy Veterans Day, and thanks for your service. :patiot:

We've got a couple guys right up your alley with your conversions, and many others that want to be.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Yo.

RWAL hmmmmmmm.........I'm interested in that.

One of my next projects will be adapting an electric speedo to a factory tach cluster. I found that a homelink connector is perfect to use in place of the ribbon connector.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Welcome to the forum.
I just got done with a fuel injected vortec swap with a 4L60E into my 85 K30. The 4L60E is Temporary untill I can find a 4L80E. What are you doing for a Transmission controller? Or are you going to go Full Manual Valve Body?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Speaking of 4L80-E guys, what years ECM would I want from a Diesel truck that has an auto trans to get the stand alone 4L80-E ECM and harness? We have a 95-98 3/4 or 1 ton at the impound yard with a 6.5 turbo D motor. We've already robbed doors, seats, hood and some glass off of it, so obviously its a salvage truck, but if it should have a 4L80-E in it, I'm just wondering if its the ECM I'll be looking for. :manos: Gotta cool boss, I bet he'd let me HAVE IT. I'm also eyeballing a 4L60-E K trans case with the Tcase adapter that is laying in the back of a 97 Z71 that I am fairly certain I can have. All the guts to the trans and laying back there too, but they are all rusted up now, but I at least want the case with the big K on the side of it. If you guys had a clue of the parts I have access too. :drool: :manos: I'm just waiting to get some time in with the boss before I start asking for freebies, or about the time he's ready to haul it for scrap, I'll ask, hey hey hey, can I grab that trans first?

Last edited:

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel
Welcome to the forum.
I just got done with a fuel injected vortec swap with a 4L60E into my 85 K30. The 4L60E is Temporary untill I can find a 4L80E. What are you doing for a Transmission controller? Or are you going to go Full Manual Valve Body?

I've got the TCM for one out of a '93 6.5TD truck.

Speaking of 4L80-E guys, what years ECM would I want from a Diesel truck that has an auto trans to get the stand alone 4L80-E ECM and harness? We have a 95-98 3/4 or 1 ton at the impound yard with a 6.5 turbo D motor. We've already robbed doors, seats, hood and some glass off of it, so obviously its a salvage truck, but if it should have a 4L80-E in it, I'm just wondering if its the ECM I'll be looking for. :manos: Gotta cool boss, I bet he'd let me HAVE IT. I'm also eyeballing a 4L60-E K trans case with the Tcase adapter that is laying in the back of a 97 Z71 that I am fairly certain I can have. All the guts to the trans and laying back there too, but they are all rusted up now, but I at least want the case with the big K on the side of it. If you guys had a clue of the parts I have access too. :drool: :manos: I'm just waiting to get some time in with the boss before I start asking for freebies, or about the time he's ready to haul it for scrap, I'll ask, hey hey hey, can I grab that trans first?

'91-93 6.2/6.5 3/4T trucks is where you need to look for the TCM. It was stand-alone for the trans those years.... Anything newer and it controls the engine too...

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've got the TCM for one out of a '93 6.5TD truck.

'91-93 6.2/6.5 3/4T trucks is where you need to look for the TCM. It was stand-alone for the trans those years.... Anything newer and it controls the engine too...

Thanks for the info. I think we have a 92 1 ton too, but if I recall, that was a 454 truck. :sad72: No motor, and I can't imagine someone would pull a 6.5 Turbo Diesel for another truck. Our service truck is a 97 with Vortec 454 and NV4500.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome man, thanks for the info an pics for the tailpan install, I will be tackling that in the coming weeks....

88burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sounds like we have almost the same truck. I have an 88 2500 that I have had for 18 years. Great trucks. Would really like to see some pictures of yours. I have some on this site.

Joeairforce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
6.2L N/A Diesel

buRRp

Full Access Member