New from North Texas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sean1960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom GMC
Engine Size
Hello everyone, I see a lot of nice Square Body trucks on here, I must be in the right place! I have 1973 GMC that has been an on going project for the last 6+ years. I've been driving it for about 5 of those years. It's actually a 1973 cab with 1984 frame, doors and bed. The front bumper is from an 1982. The list of mix and match parts go's on. Check out the photos in my album and see if you can find a few other things not usually found on a GM Square Body. This truck is street driven and run in the mud bogs here locally. Nice to meet everyone!

HRPC EDIT: Seans Album Link -----> http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/album.php?albumid=137

Last edited by a moderator:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome aboard Sean. Sounds like a cool project even though its a bit Frankenstein. But, that's the beauty of the Squarebodies, they are so interchangeable over the 18 years the squares were available. Feel free to post some of your pics in your into thread too if you wish.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

sean1960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom GMC
Engine Size
Thanks, yes it is a high pinion Ford Dana 60 out of a 1989 F350. It also has a divorced 205 transfer case from a mid 70's Ford. Sometimes you just have to use what you can find.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thats a nice truck. Welcome!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks, yes it is a high pinion Ford Dana 60 out of a 1989 F350. It also has a divorced 205 transfer case from a mid 70's Ford. Sometimes you just have to use what you can find.

Yeah well, sometimes there is advantages to using some of those other brands parts too. Actually its not Ford parts at all. It a Spicer/Dana front axle, and a New Process Tcase. So just cuz it was intended to be used in a F O R D, doesn't mean its FORD parts. With that, you can sleep at night and your truck won't hold it against you.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Looking at the pics, it appears you have all the good stuff on that truck. I also noticed the gas tank is inside the frame rails not outside. Much safer the way you have it. :waytogo:
Only thing I see that could be a little better is the indexing of the rear axle. Looks to be a pretty steep angle. Any problems eating U joints?

sean1960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom GMC
Engine Size
That's exactly how I feel HotRodPC. I don't really care what brand of vehicle they were made for as long as the manufacturer has a good reputation. The only U joints I've ever replaced were in the front axle.

Last edited:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome! Bad ass truck! My buddy had a short bed about that tall and it was a blast cruising around town in.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Awesome truck man, welcome!

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Welcome aboard. Is that all suspension lift or is part of it a body lift?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Welcome to the forum, nice truck! :waytogo: The HP Ford D60 definately has the front driveline angle advantage but lacks in a couple other departments, specifically the spindles, wheel bearings, and axleshaft spline count. Not to say it is so much weaker that it wont do the job, just that the GM D60s are just a hair above them. Now, you can get 40-spline axleshafts for all of the Big 3 D60s, the ultimate way to go. Given the choice though I wouldnt turn down the HP D60. The main thing I like about the Ford 205 is the 32 spline front output, but I can swap one of those into my GM 205, so I can run 1350 joints all around. I really like your truck and would like more info on that gas tank mod. Looks like you might need a hell of a lot of lift to avoid the rear 3rd member contacting the tank on compression of the rear springs though. Also how are those Ground Hawgs workin out for ya? I notice you have them all mounted in "forward" direction, some people mount opposite corners backwards just for reverse pulling. Do you ever run a bigger tire? Looks like you have plenty of room there for it.

sean1960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom GMC
Engine Size
Welcome aboard. Is that all suspension lift or is part of it a body lift?

It has a 3 inch body lift. I didn't want to use a body lift but the wheels only have 2 1/2 inchs of back spacing to keep the tires off the springs when in a sharp turn. The front tires come very close to the fenders when I'm 4 wheeling and have actually hit the passenger side fender. The rest of the lift consist of 8 inch superlift springs ( 52" rear springs on the front and the rear ). Dropped spring hangers and a shackle flip.

sean1960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom GMC
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum, nice truck! :waytogo: The HP Ford D60 definately has the front driveline angle advantage but lacks in a couple other departments, specifically the spindles, wheel bearings, and axleshaft spline count. Not to say it is so much weaker that it wont do the job, just that the GM D60s are just a hair above them. Now, you can get 40-spline axleshafts for all of the Big 3 D60s, the ultimate way to go. Given the choice though I wouldnt turn down the HP D60. The main thing I like about the Ford 205 is the 32 spline front output, but I can swap one of those into my GM 205, so I can run 1350 joints all around. I really like your truck and would like more info on that gas tank mod. Looks like you might need a hell of a lot of lift to avoid the rear 3rd member contacting the tank on compression of the rear springs though. Also how are those Ground Hawgs workin out for ya? I notice you have them all mounted in "forward" direction, some people mount opposite corners backwards just for reverse pulling. Do you ever run a bigger tire? Looks like you have plenty of room there for it.

The plan was to get 47" or 49" tires when the Ground Hawgs wear out but even the 47's would get into the springs when I turn. I could limit the turning radius but this truck turns sharper than any Chevy I ever drove. This is the third set of 44" Ground Hawgs I've owned over the years. They are very long lasting tires. I run them all in the correct direction because of the mud bogs we run in. And no, they do not get very good traction backing up.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Welcome from N. East Texas.:wave: Nice truck, I'm so jealous of you, you don't live far from the IN N OUT burger. I drove 168 miles for one, if you haven't tried one all I can say is BEST BURGER ON THE PLANET!!!! One of the few things I miss from Cali.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello