New driveline choice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Where do you see this?

It's on the face of the heads.

If you go to Vortec, you need a new intake, it's a whole can of worms, if you're going to open it, I recommend starting with a cheaper engine.

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
It's on the face of the heads.

If you go to Vortec, you need a new intake, it's a whole can of worms, if you're going to open it, I recommend starting with a cheaper engine.

Nope, the whole idea is to avoids cans of worms lol. 300hp is 300hp, I'm not jacking with it.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I'm not trying to bag on it but you might want to ask one important question from the builder and double check what kind of heads they have on that motor. Hopefully they'll say Vortec heads or something like a good open as cast design that isn't a swirl port head. If so then I can get behind it, but if they mention swirl port heads I'm going to be very doubtful it can make the power advertised. Swirl ports were literally the entire reason that the power level and fuel mileage suck on the largest majority of the TBI And electric carb motors.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I'm not trying to bag on it but you might want to ask one important question from the builder and double check what kind of heads they have on that motor. Hopefully they'll say Vortec heads or something like a good open as cast design that isn't a swirl port head. If so then I can get behind it, but if they mention swirl port heads I'm going to be very doubtful it can make the power advertised. Swirl ports were literally the entire reason that the power level and fuel mileage suck on the largest majority of the TBI And electric carb motors.

They are swirl port heads, and they'll be just fine at the power level he wants.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
If your truck is anything like mine, it feels like its out of breath at 3k and I would be really disappointed
Hmm... Apparently stock... Would be better with vortec huh?

Engine Specs

Horsepower: 300

Torque: 360

Fuel: 91 Octane

Pistons: NEW (Hypereutectic/Silvolite)

Rings: NEW (Federal Mogul)

Connecting Rods: Reman (Stock GM)

Rod Bolts: NEW (Pioneer)

***Heads: Stock Cast Iron***

Cam: NEW Roller (Melling)

Cam Specs: 203/203 Duration - 114 LS

Crankshaft: Cast Iron (All Round-Radius Ground)

Bearings: NEW (KING Performance)

Balancer: NEW (Pioneer)

Timing Cover: Stock

Oil Pan: NEW (Engine Quest)

Push Rods: NEW (Pioneer)

Paint Job: Custom Color

Gasket Kit: NEW (DC/Victor Reinz/Fel-Pro)

Rockers: NEW (Elgin)

Rocker Arm Studs: NEW (Pioneer)

Intake Manifold: NEW (Edelbrock)

Rod Bearings: NEW (KING Performance)

Lifters: NEW (Pioneer)

Freeze Plugs: NEW (Brass/Pioneer)

Timing Set: NEW (Melling)

Balanced: Yes

Spin Tested: Yes

Modifications Required: No

Core: $350

RPM Range: 1600-5000 RPM's

What lift on that cam?

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Not a bad idea. I haven't been too worried mostly because from what I've gathered, west coast engines has a sterling reputation. But it never hurts to verify.

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If your truck is anything like mine, it feels like its out of breath at 3k and I would be really disappointed

What lift on that cam?

Is that this?

203/203 Duration - 114 LS

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
300 hp flywheel from a 350 isn't much to ask with swirl ports, they went up to 245 stock on 87 octane.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
300 hp flywheel from a 350 isn't much to ask with swirl ports, they went up to 245 stock on 87 octane.

what tbi engine made 245hp stock? if memory servers me correctly the tpi engines were the highest hp and like 225 till the lt1 and it had early designs of the vortec heads inthe LT1 casting and a cam that measure 203/207 .447/.459 117 and they were only 275-285 stock.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
what tbi engine made 245hp stock? if memory servers me correctly the tpi engines were the highest hp and like 225 till the lt1 and it had early designs of the vortec heads inthe LT1 casting and a cam that measure 203/207 .447/.459 117 and they were only 275-285 stock.

The 87-95 TBI was only 210, One of the Goodwrench engines is rated at 245, and up to like 275 or something like that with just headers and still 87 octane.

Either way, I don't see 300 flywheel being an issue, it's really not a lofty goal. And quite honestly, literally anything fresh and new would seem like a rocket.

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
God damn it, you guys are almost making me go back and buy a carbed version lol - easy 400hp

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
God damn it, you guys are almost making me go back and buy a carbed version lol - easy 400hp

You could always but that version and use an adapter to put a tbi on it, just need to upgrade fuel pumps, make the regulator adjustable and find someone to tune it, or do it yourself.

Gray87GMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You could always but that version and use an adapter to put a tbi on it, just need to upgrade fuel pumps, make the regulator adjustable and find someone to tune it, or do it yourself.

I was excited to find an 87 because it was fuel injected. I guess I just didn't know at the time the limitations of TBI. You have an 87? What are you running?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I was excited to find an 87 because it was fuel injected. I guess I just didn't know at the time the limitations of TBI. You have an 87? What are you running?
Not what he should be lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69