New distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blink

Reaction score
First Name
KIM
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
305 HIGH COMPRESSION
Put a new distributor on my 86 Silverado , cranked up ran fine 2 plus hours in drive way . Been setting a year before fixing, bad gas stalled me out . Now want crank at all spray starter fluid want even fire ... don t think timing has moved ,vacuum lines how much a problem does that cause with not starting

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
In addition to starting fluid you also need some fuel flowing.

Use the plastic cap from a spray can to measure ( like the cap from your starting fluid) and with the choke open, pour that much gas into the carburetor. Then put the air cleaner back on (in case it backfires) and crank it over again to get it to fire. If that does not at least get it to start firing, you have ignition issues to fix. If it does fire, you need to keep going to get fuel in the lines.

Since that fuel pump and carb are bone dry, you might have to do this a couple of times to get the lines full and fuel moving from the tank.

Bruce

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ive had sediment in the fuel lines cause it to just idle with the idle screw all the way in before. when i turned if off and it flowed back to the tank after time, it started. There was a lot of sand in the fuel tank.... im not sure why. i replaced tank and carb and flushed lines, personally. but id maybe put a new fuel filter in and check the old one for debris. I dont think your ignition system is bad.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If it wont' at least try to kick off on ether then it aint firing.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
^yep. If ether won't fire, it's spark. Coils croak sometimes...it will have to be something common to all 8 cylinders since none are hitting, so you've ruled out plugs and wires. Coil or power to everything,
Check ground also, it's the devil bitch that frustrates even the best mechanic!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benn95