needin some speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
hey yall how are ya got a question,I am the happy owner of a 3/4 ton 85' burb with a 6.2 diesel,anyway my ? is this the burb came with a radio delete from the factory,and I am havin a rough time finding the speaker cutouts seein as how there is speakerp basket in the rear or front,I just found where the dash front cutouts werefor the single 4x10 and 3/12 speakers are but cant find anything for the rear and the bak panel do the cutouts for the rear exist or is it only the back panel any help would be greatly appreciated espsecially since it has been a long 30,000 miles and 2 years of drivin this thing with no tunes !!!! p.s disregard the part where I said there were speaker baskets,there are none.:grd:

bigcountryguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 diesel
Might have to go custom and cut your own in the doors

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't have a burb so I can't tell you where the rear speakers would be, but we have several burb owners on here so I'll give your thread a bump and maybe one of them will have an answer for you.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I'll post a pic of the rear location here in a few minutes. Not sure if you can get a decent speaker for the factory cutout because it's an odd size. Crutchfield has some options but I'm wondering if a 4"x 10" can produce good sound.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-O5zq2ooBuYf/g_400/All-Car-Speakers.html?l=K

From the seat release, measure back 6 3/8" for center.

You must be registered for see images attach

From the edge of the trim, measure down 3 3/4" for center.

You must be registered for see images attach

Speakers are symmetric so the location is the same on both sides.

Edit: one more option for 4x10's is the Memhis PR4102V2 which looks like a good speaker. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAP...35&catId=293&item=190839789635#ht_3219wt_1006

Last edited:

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
SQ guys will laugh at 4x10's, and besides which there is hardly a market for them. But if you are just lookin for tunes there are some options. Pyle makes 4x10s and 3.5s at a good price.

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
thanx for the info. guys much obliged.I will put it to good use hope I can repay the favor somehow also I have found some pretty nice 4x10's like ya said pyle makes some nice ones so does boss,pioneer and kenwood as well as sounscape,and for the 3 1/2's infinity makes a real nise soundin one well gotta run have and as my pappy says keep truckin' and have a good un'.Those of us who live in my neck of the woods al drive gm's and have roots in kentucky,we drive what we build. Gotta love the motor city.

:birgits_tiredcoffee:birgits_tiredcoffee:birgits_tiredcoffee:birgits_tiredcoffee

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I had a Cutlass one time with some 4x10s in it. They would knock pretty good! I'd rate them about 85%-90% as good as 6x9s.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
thanx for the info. guys much obliged.I will put it to good use hope I can repay the favor somehow also I have found some pretty nice 4x10's like ya said pyle makes some nice ones so does boss,pioneer and kenwood as well as sounscape,and for the 3 1/2's infinity makes a real nise soundin one well gotta run have and as my pappy says keep truckin' and have a good un'.Those of us who live in my neck of the woods al drive gm's and have roots in kentucky,we drive what we build. Gotta love the motor city.

:birgits_tiredcoffee:birgits_tiredcoffee:birgits_tiredcoffee:birgits_tiredcoffee

If you are interest in the factory rear speaker housings I have a pair.

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
If you have a fresh slate (no cutouts, which it sounds like you do) I would look into some 6.5" round speakers. You will have a lot more options and a lot better sound. As guitarfreak said SQ guys will laugh at the 4x10s as well as any other oval shaped speaker because they will distort so much easier. Just my .02

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
thanx again for the info. guys. and that brings me to my next ? I see that there is a cutout for a 4x10 in the center of the dash my ? is how the heck do ya wire the darn thing into a 4 channel radio and still run the remaining 4 speakers i.ee the 3.5's on ecah side of it and the 4x10's in the rear without havin to buy a amp? I am a guy on a budget tighter than a "DD" supermodels bra.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely, "goin nuts without speakers and tunes".:025:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
you wont use the center 4x10.
What alot of guys use that slot for, is the external speaker for a cb radio.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigcreek