Need to extend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i have an 83 k10 that i recently bought
Has a suspension lift, and guy i bought it from has no clue what size it was, he says he'd guess it is a 4"
The blocks in the back look to be about 3", the ones in the front 1 1/2" or maybe 2", gotta measure them
But, i'm thinking of putting a body lift on the aswell
Not sure if i want to go with a 2in or 3in body lift, but first i want to know:
With how its set up already, if i add either of those body lifts will i have toget new extended brake lines, driveshaft, and all that other stuff?
If so, what will i have to extend?

Thanks!

firefighter-emt03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 suburban
Engine Size
Body lift wont affect brake lines/drive shafts. The steering shaft will need to be addresed depending on how much body lift you plan on going. I would start by ditching those front lift blocks as soon as possible for a b52 swap or a good set of lift springs. I'm not a fan of lift blocks at all but in the front its a safety issue

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
First off, there should not be any blocks in the front of your truck
like firefighter said replace those with a nice set of lift springs

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
What size lift springs? I'm pretty sure its already got some with the block too, deffinatally lifted more on other things then the block.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
What size lift springs? I'm pretty sure its already got some with the block too, deffinatally lifted more on other things then the block.

Hard to tell with out pic's or at least your tire size , best fit go's like this;

33's , 4" lift
35's , 6" lift
38's , 8" lift
and so on.

Sounds like you need to go through your suspension and build it to the tire size you want to run. I run o rate blocks in the front but they are only one inch and they are bolted to the spring pack via the centering pin , anything past that is no good. Most people around here do not like body lifts , (I have had a few with no problems) but I would try not to run one unless I just had to. As far as blocks go in the rear , sure its nice to buy new springs but tons of trucks in my area run them in the rear , (and we trash our **** off road) with 0 problems. Even stock , crappy ass dodges and fords came with blocks in the rear from the factory for year's , so blocks in the rear are no big deal if you want to save money.

Give the dudes here pic's , or all the info. on your truck , tire size , what you want to do with it and everybody on here will hook you up with some great info.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:hmm: Another one with front lift blocks? Must be that time of the year. That makes 2 recently. Get rid of the front blocks.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Measure the blocks in the back, and get lift springs for the spring based on that

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Measure the blocks in the back, and get lift springs for the spring based on that

Or just go with the lift springs that you really want, cuz lift blocks for the rear don't cost all that much, and if you need to, you can always buy new rear blocks. With rears usually sitting higher, if you have 2.5-3in rear lift blocks, 4in up front will look about level, and if you went 6in lift springs, it might be nosed up just a bit which is also done on purpose many times.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
I wanna see some pictures of this baby

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok, so, my truck got 33's, probably gonna throw some 35's on in the future
Pics:

Passanger Side

You must be registered for see images attach

Drivers side

And this is the truck:

So, i had previously looked closely only on the drivers side, where it looks like there's a block. On the passenger side though, it just seems to go right down on a part of the axle.
I'm new to lifts and all, so i'm not sure how to figure out what is what. How can i figure out if the leaf springs are lift springs/is there anything else that may have been done to lift it?

It seems the block in the drivers side is to level out the 2 sides, to me it doesn't look like its been used to lift it, should i leave it there or replace it with something else?

Thanks!

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Looks like a old 4" lift to me , cant see any block's , stock steering arm as well. I think if you are going with 35's anyway I would go with a new 6" setup.I would go through the whole truck anyway

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
yeah I don't see any blocks. but get a steering arm asap. highdesertranger

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
ok good, so no blocks in the front. I wasn't sure with the drivers side under the leaf spring, so thats good.

But what is the reason for needing a new steering arm? And if i go to buy one, do i have to get a different sized one then stock because its lifted?

Thanks!

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
What your seeing is the spring perch welded to the tube. The steering arm needs to be at the correct angle to have proper geometry. It will raise the link between the knuckle and the pitman arm.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrettkeith