Need obscure bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Alright, I know this may sound like a crazy long shot but I've gotta try. i have an old kohler motor with a knocky main bearing. So after some digging I found that the crank diameter is 1.65 inches and the main bearing inner diameter for it is 1.75 inches. If anyone knows of any manufactured bearing that ever existed with a 1.75 inch inner diameter, PLEASE shout it out:Big Laugh: or if anyone knows of some trick to fix this bearing or make a new one, that'd be greatly appreciated. They sell these bearings but they're mostly used on ebay and cost upwards of 50 bucks, way too much for me to spend on some junky motor. Part number is #48 030 06-S. Again any advice is appreciated:favorites37:

Attached are photos of my victim

You must be registered for see images attach

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Lol I like the challenge, only 35 bucks on craigslist. Im hoping to make a generator and give it my spare 20 gal long bed tank and just tuck it away when im done. Theyre worth like 200 bucks on ebay too so i figure if it doesn't work out il just flip it

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
A Bearing Supply House ought'a carry those.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
So possibly $50 for the correct part on top of the $35 you paid for an engine that can be flipped for $200? What's the problem?

Back when I was fixing in-home appliances it was common to run into the homeowner that didn't want to pay for the necessary part to fix his dishwasher or whatever I was working on. I'd tell 'em they needed a new $60 fill valve for instance, and they'd look at it and say it didn't look like a $60 part. I'd hand it to them and say "Go make one of these in your garage and then tell me what it's worth." They always bought the part.

Last edited:

fmxr47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Because Kohlers are expensive to fix!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size

Anyone know of any good ones of those? Or any motor that's used a 1.75 bearing? Crank, cam, rod, whatever. Anything will work lol. Half of me is considering just sending it with the Damn knock

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C

That was my original thought as well until I looked at a picture of it. It's more of a bushing than a typical roller bearing so not something you would find just sitting on the shelf at a bearing supply house. Lots of sites list it as nla so the op should be happy that it can be found at all. There's no cheap way around it so Ob is going to have to decide just how much he wants to fix it and if it's worth it to him.

Reactions: WFO

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
A good machinist can make anything. Also sit with a parts book for a while and I’m sure something could be cross referenced with good measurements.

Reactions: WFO

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Yea sofar ive found an austin Martin motor with the same size, but too obscure. And i found a post from a guy saying he ran a 1.75 rod bearing in his honda k24a, but then said it was an ls bearing. Is anyone familiar with what he may be talking about?

Last edited:

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_engine_parts.htm

It has been my experience that bearings, brake rebuild kits, rings and even pistons can be found to work in many different applications. Why make a special bearing when it can be designed to work just as well with a standard part? IH trucks, almost all farm equipment, Willys and Harley Davidson build with standard parts and in a pinch, can be made to work with metric parts. How do you think Cuba kept so many old cars, equipment and motorcycles running? They used Russian parts.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That is right around 45mm id which is a relatively standard metric size for a bearing.
I have cross swapped metric vs standard before but not on an engine application

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmballow02