Need new radiator, what to get for now and future

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have a radiator that works fine, but the overflow port is busted off. It leaks out a little coolant now and also made the overflow useless. I've been driving it this way for a while, but its time to replace. Looks like I can get a replacement radiator from advance or simliar stores. The thing I dont know is if these are as good as what I have now.

I read a lot about the number of "rows" in a radiator, i dont know how many I have now and how many I need. I have A/C in the truck now, so maybe that makes a difference. Otherwise its a TBI 350 K10. I'm hoping to upgrade to a better motor in the future, so I would like something that can handle a little more HP too.

Looking for some input on what to get.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
My brother got one of the new radiators for his suburban in place of the original brass radiator and he wasn't impressed by it. It was an aluminum center with plastic ends. It cooled fine for him and his truck is a 350 bored 40 over with a 180* thermostat. I've always learned from the older muscle car guys that the brass radiators are the best to go. Even heard it from a few people that drag raced cars that the brass are better. I've replaced more aluminum radiators with the plastic caps than I have of the brass radiators. The plastic ends deteriorate because of the antifreeze and heat. I'm sure you could take your truck up to a radiator shop and have them resolder that little pipe back on. If you don't have it just hit up the local junkyard and snatch it off or maybe even the shop would have one. It will more than likely be much cheaper than getting another radiator. That's just my personal opinion on it. If the rows are clogged up with build up you can use CLR in it to clear it up. I've read about it but haven't personally done it. I'm not sure if it would harm any seals or hoses. If able to take the radiator out and fill it with the CLR and let it soak awhile then rinse. Plus when you have it out you can take it to get fixed. As far as rows go get the most you can if it will fit without clearance problems. The more rows the better I've always been told.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
I got my radiator for rockauto. Was 110 dollars I think. Haven't had a problem with it yet. Installed in august it is an aluminum they are cheaper then brass but brass takes heat off faster.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave