Need help reading a 1987 chevy truck engine code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sqaurebody

Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
350 sbc
I have a video of the code reading, but I can't really read it I bypassed it with a paperclip any help appreciated

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have a video of the code reading, but I can't really read it I bypassed it with a paperclip any help appreciated
Is there a question in there somewhere? What is the problem? What are you trying to do? It's an 87, so first year TBI... do you have a check engine light on? Is it running poorly? When you short the pins on the ALDL connection it should flash any active codes. It should be steady flashes, followed by a short break and then more short flashes. Then a longer pause to show that you have a second code starting. So if your codes are 22 and 37, you will have two flashes.. pause.. two flashes... longer pause... then three flashes.. pause... seven flashes... longer pause.. then back to the two flashes..etc.

There is a reference library sub forum on here that has all of the manuals. If you go to the 87 manuals, you can open up the emissions and drivability manual, which will have troubleshooting flowcharts and instructions for all of the codes.

sqaurebody

Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
350 sbc
Thank you I was trying to look to find out how to read my code, I got a video but it's to big. I shorted the pins and it brought up a code.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
What’s the code?

If you’re unsure about how to read the code (flashes) check YouTube.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Is there a question in there somewhere? What is the problem? What are you trying to do? It's an 87, so first year TBI... do you have a check engine light on? Is it running poorly? When you short the pins on the ALDL connection it should flash any active codes. It should be steady flashes, followed by a short break and then more short flashes. Then a longer pause to show that you have a second code starting. So if your codes are 22 and 37, you will have two flashes.. pause.. two flashes... longer pause... then three flashes.. pause... seven flashes... longer pause.. then back to the two flashes..etc.

There is a reference library sub forum on here that has all of the manuals. If you go to the 87 manuals, you can open up the emissions and drivability manual, which will have troubleshooting flowcharts and instructions for all of the codes.
I think it flashes each code 3 times, right? 12, 12, 12, any stored codes 3 times each, then 12, 12, 12?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think it flashes each code 3 times, right? 12, 12, 12, any stored codes 3 times each, then 12, 12, 12?
Correct, if any codes exist, will start with the lower number first. 12 12 12, code# 3 times then 12 12 12. Generally speaking, if 2 codes or more are present start diagnostics with lower number first.

sqaurebody

Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
350 sbc
What’s the code?

If you’re unsure about how to read the code (flashes) check YouTube.
After the diagnostic code it was followed by 3 repeated flashes and then a pause and 3 more, then repeats same one and back diagnostic

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
After the diagnostic code it was followed by 3 repeated flashes and then a pause and 3 more, then repeats same one and back diagnostic
that's code 33. MAP sensor voltage high.

check - 1) engine vacuum with a gauge to make sure vacuum isn't actually too low. 2) for vacuum leaks. 3) MAP sensor vacuum hoses and tbi port for clogs, 4) electrical connections and harness for MAP sensor.

sqaurebody

Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Truck Year
Truck Model
R20
Engine Size
350 sbc
It has a high idle, couldn't find a leak in any vacuum lines

Stumann666

Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom
Engine Size
It's very common for the gasket between the throttle body and the intake manifold to blow out and leak. It doesn't take much to unbolt the throttle body and take a look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad