Need Help on brakes dragging badly.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hotdawg22

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
1983 Chevy
Truck Model
P30 Van Chassis
Engine Size
Hello everyone. Hope i am in the right area. Could not find a mechanical discussion so i ended up here.
Now my current issue is the brakes.
This unit is a 1983 Holiday Rambler with the CHEVY P30 chassis. It has the HYDROBOOST brake system on it .
Nothing was wrong with the system when i started , i just wanted it all to be new. (lesson here... if not broke... don't fix) lol. So I replaced the entire braking system, hydrobooster, master cylinder, portioning block etc. , pads, calipers, lines power steering pump.
At first the system seemed to work for the first 5 miles but then i noticed the engine was dragging down. Note here that engine was warmed up to normal engine temp.
Then i realised it was the brakes applying themselves and the peddle was hard as a rock and all the way up so when i put my foot on the peddle is was no play in it. All six wheels heated up and started smoking so i know something is bad wrong. I had to remove the retuirn line on the booster and let the PS fluid out before i could move the thing. So with the fluid low as it was the PS pump could not build up pressure to lock the brakes , but i was able to drive it back home. (PS was really growling on turns and braking)
This brake system is all mechanical and no auto park stuff. All hoses of any type were replaced and i just finished checking them again for kinks etc. Return lines are clear and new and no kinks.
All SIX wheels were engaged and hot as fire when i stopped. The tag axel operates off an independent hydraulic over vacuum booster system that just applies to the tag axel itself. That vacuum booster is activated when the brake pedel is pushed causing brake fluid from the main master cylinder to engage the tag axel master cylinder and that will engage the tag axel brakes.
Anyway, maybe someone out there has had the same issue and can help me locate the trouble maker. lol
Thanks for any help.

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
its very possible that the rod from the brake pedal may need to be shortened (by screwing in) because of slight manufacture build tolerances between the new vs old parts. All braking system are static, meaning they just sit there waiting to be used, by pressing the pedal. Aftermarket parts sometimes will require some adjustments due to tooling or machining differences from OEM. Another issue is possible, the valve may be open/active when is should be closed until brake pedal is pressed, but not very likely, try the easy fix first, with your hand, press the brake pedal, there should be at least 1/4 in travel before resistance is felt, as the system engages. good luck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CTGAP