Need help I'm lost!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I have a 76 c20 454 th400 and when I cold start it it misses like no other. It spits and sputters around 400 but if I open choke it will smooth out and idle at 1000 until I hit the gas to kick off high idle. I'm stumped because if the choke is fully open it will run fine but if it's cold and the choke is closed it runs like crap. I've replaced spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, ing coil. I don't think it's ignition, but what do u guys think? It ran fine and then I put a manual choke conversion on it because it kept high idleing and the choke wouldn't stay fully open and I took manual choke off and put the divorced choke back on and it's still the same?

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm no expert, but I'd wonder if the idle mixture is too rich...

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Are you opening the choke at all once it starts? You will need it open a little or it will run stupid rich.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If it runs fine cold with the choke open the idle mixture is too rich, a common PO thing to do when he choke is broken rather than fix it. Warm the engine up, then lean out the idle mixture to highest rpm. Then try the cold start with the choke again.

The idle mixture could be way rich because the well plugs on the Qjet are leaking. Has the carb ever been rebuilt?

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I rebuilt it myself, put new gaskets and float in it and cleaned it but it ran fine after I rebuilt it. I'll try what you said, it's running rich because it will backfire sometimes upon startup. And when the choke is engaged it will spit black smoke

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I rebuilt it myself, put new gaskets and float in it and cleaned it but it ran fine after I rebuilt it. I'll try what you said, it's running rich because it will backfire sometimes upon startup. And when the choke is engaged it will spit black smoke

Check to be sure your choke is pulling open far enough on start up. A rule of thumb I use is about 1/4" 3/8" open

76chevyc20454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I don't have the choke pulloff hooked up because of the manual kit on it but I open it a lil when I first start it and it will run for about 10 sec an start to spit and sputter. If I open the choke slowly till I hit about 3/4 of the way open it will smooth out. I haved prob with the carb leaking gas out the side that's why I rebuilt it and the high idle prob was from the spacer I have on there. The linkage going from the intake to the carb wasn't long enough, so it kept pulling choke closed. I have a spacer on there because of the vapor lock prob I'm still having lol but I thought about taking it off. It was on there when I bought the truck

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Well, you can take Rich's advice and adjust the idle jets with a vacuum guage and see if that helps

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
to much choke for conditions. open the choke some. highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics