Mystery sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justins83'

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have two sensors on the block of my 83'.One's above the oil filter on the side of the block and the other one is by the starter on the other side of the block.They're a two prong hookup.Is this a low oil sensor or something?The reason i'm asking is because I have a oil leak from both of em(really bad leak on the driver side one) and can't find anything to replace em with at the parts store.

Justins83'

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have the typical oil pressure sending unit on the intake mani by the distributor too btw guys.Gauge still doesn't work for some reason.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I'm thinking oil pressure, knock or coolant sensor.

Justins83'

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Coolant is more towards the front of the block on the driver side right under the manifold.Knock or oil pressure is what i'm leaning towards too.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Coolant is more towards the front of the block on the driver side right under the manifold.Knock or oil pressure is what i'm leaning towards too.

Ya coolant is towards the front. Then its knock or oil pressure then. The one by the starter could be the knock sensor.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'd bet hrpc would know for sure! We don't call him Chilton for know reason, although we may have to upgrade him to Haynes :)

Justins83'

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Alright so I did some digging and found out it is the sensor for the low oil light.Only seven bucks at the parts stores.Sweet!Don't ever deal with idiots(Not all of em are dumb,just most of em around here)at the parts stores,just look it up on their websites.lol Still don't know what the one by the starter is though.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Alright so I did some digging and found out it is the sensor for the low oil light.Only seven bucks at the parts stores.Sweet!Don't ever deal with idiots(Not all of em are dumb,just most of em around here)at the parts stores,just look it up on their websites.lol Still don't know what the one by the starter is though.

Knock sensor. Thats where the knock sensor is on TBI.

Justins83'

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wonder why a 83' would have it though.I thought tbi didn't start til 87',Even though some bastard child 86's got it.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
If its a 305 the sensor on the passenger side of the block by the starter is a knock sensor. Most people just phase that system out and convert their distributor over from the ignition control.

Justins83'

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
83'
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I can't find a knock sensor on any parts store site when I look up my truck though.Plus knock sensors normally don't have oil flow to em.They just screw in the block a little bit and sense unusual harmonics in the motor like detonation.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
I'd bet hrpc would know for sure! We don't call him Chilton for know reason, although we may have to upgrade him to Haynes :)

i'd personally take that as an insult. both are crappy excuses for a "repair manual"

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
the one above the oil filter on the side of the block is an oil pressure switch, the one by the starter (just in front of it, just above the oil pan rail) is a knock sensor.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size

your truck does not have a "low oil light".
Wonder why a 83' would have it though.I thought tbi didn't start til 87',Even though some bastard child 86's got it.

your 83 would have it because starting in 1982 GM offered "Electronic Spark Control", an electronically advanced distributor. TBI didn't start until 1987, and no "bastard child 86's" got it... the bastard children occurred as 1987 trucks with carbs.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
x2 83's had the esc and up and that's what the knock sensor is for, the oil pressure switch is over the oil filter. it is used on some of the newer trucks for the fuel pump stuff, and could be the idiot light for yours and if it's the right one it works for a gauge. The one on the back by the dist, is the same way.

The one by the starter is a knock sensor. if you remove it coolant comes out. The drain plug/bolt is on the older vehicles.

I think he meant low oil pressure cuz that's what the light is, you either have a gauage or a light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
630erik1