my brake bleeding problem, on a gmt400 tho.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
This is what I use to bleed brakes. It will put the system under pressure so you can go around and see if there is any leaks in the system. I had a 95 S10 that had a problem like you describe and the only way I found it was with this unit. My problem was the ABS unit but I see you have already removed your ABS. I also had a 69 C-10 that gave me hell bleeding the brakes and that is why I got this unit. With this unit it took me about 30 min by myself to bleed the stubborn brakes on the 69. Did your brakes work correctly after you removed the ABS? This is a little pricey but you can also get just the one for GM stuff for about 65 bucks from that same site. I no longer hate bleeding brakes with this unit.

http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/Universal-Bleeder-Kit-0250_p_136.html

Best of luck

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You can also bench bleed the MC while it's on the truck by taking a line loose, put your thumb over the hole, have someone press all the way down on the pedal very slowly while you let fluid escape under your thumb, and once fluid stops coming out seal your finger tight against the master cylinder as they let off the pedal very slowly. This forces the MC to suck fluid from the reservoir into the valving chambers, as opposed to using those little plastic screw-in fittings with clear hose that obviously don't seal very well and can let air get back into the valve chambers. I know you've already done a lot of work under the hood and this is a very messy technique so you may not want to do it. Also if you got tender little girly fingers lol the suction of the MC on your thumb may make you think it is going to rip the hide right off your thumb. After 3 or so cycles of doing this just hook the lines up and bleed the brakes normally. I know how you feel though, bleeding brakes to me is like doing plumbing with threaded galvanized pipe in a 12" crawlspace, ****** hate it man.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I've never had problems like this, always bled everything 2 man and fine no problems firm pedal.

I can't afford a power bleeder but did think of using one for sure. If I had the cash I would but right now it's just too tight and too tough of times for me to dump a hundred bucks into one just to HOPE it works and that's my only problem.

As for that frame rail line it's been changed before I got it.

The MC has been bench bled several times, they have plugs no so no hose bleeding, but I have the hoses to use as well.

As for underhood, that fender well is pretty much screwed already from this. I've washed it off every chance I got when fluid touched it but it's still coming off somewhat.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Swims, you busted your ass on this. I am sorry it has come to this and I understand your reasoning. Sorry bro.

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well I haven't fully given up, I bought a new rear flex line/hose today, installed, waiting on my old man to get home to help me bleed them, we'll see what happens then.

everybody just cross your fingers and pray it works. I sure am.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
well..................................

GUESS WHO HAS BRAKES?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swapped the rear hose out, bled it, pedal didn't seem much if any better as far as feel goes, tried it out, half way down the brakes start working and work GOOD, had my old man help me rebleed, same thing, but no air comes out, brakes work good, just pedal travels about 2 inches or almost halfway down before it grabs, but when it does it grabs down good and hard. I did some panic stops and some rear hard braking to try and adjust my shoes tighter. I did that because with the park brake down now, and engine of my main pedal won't travel that far, an inch if that and it got good and firm, running it was better too with the park brake down, less travel, so that tells me shoes need adjusted out more. I got a rust lip on the drums that won't let me fully adjust them out with the drums off and mine has the adjusters up top of the axle and no knockouts to adjust them with the drums on, so I just tried to make use of the self adjusters, don't think it helped much. I plan to later remove the drums, turn them, then throw on some new shoes and see what happens, also rebleed later as Curt said to try and get any trapped pockets out.

So it aint gettin' sold it's gonna get some gas put in her and drive it.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Awesome news man, it always works that way, right when you're ready to give up it works out! :waytogo:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea now I gotta hurt my pocket book some more by putting gas in it.

pretty sure I could have saved myself $30 some bucks on a new MC and saved 25 on a prop. valve, but oh well, it's ALL new now. The only things not new are the front hardlines, the booster and the pedal itself LOL.

Now I hope it runs alright on them plugs for now, later I HAVE to do a tune up, get rid of them wires that had a split and are taped, and change plugs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64