My 1991 v1500 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
You don't need a 2wd box unless you go to crossover steering. The crossover steering is better but the kit is gonna cost you a lot more than a 2wd steering box. You need to decide if you r gonna run the axles you have now or go with 14b ff/d60. A d60 front in CA start at like 1500 bucks and go up from there. Depends on you budget. I wouldn't spend the money for crossover steering on a 10bolt/d44 front axle for a truck with a 4 inch lift. All you need is the raised steering arm. As long as your steering/ball joints/tie rods are good your not gonna have wandering. I have a 6 inch lift with 35 inch tires and my truck drives fine every day with the 4x4 steering system/daily driver. Also if you go with one ton axles your adding a lot of weight to your truck. That 14b ff is a huge axle bout 500lbs. And you don't really need a d60 front unless your gonna run very large tires, bigger n 35's, and/or you gonna wheel that thing hard off road and you need the d60 strength. Down side of that axle is weight, less gas mileage, and less clearance. Your truck being a 1500 prob has the 700r4 overdrive trans, I'd look for a matched set of axles in at least 4.10 gears. Would be a good ratio for that trans and also 33's or 35's with 4 inch lift.

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
You don't need a 2wd box unless you go to crossover steering. The crossover steering is better but the kit is gonna cost you a lot more than a 2wd steering box. You need to decide if you r gonna run the axles you have now or go with 14b ff/d60. A d60 front in CA start at like 1500 bucks and go up from there. Depends on you budget. I wouldn't spend the money for crossover steering on a 10bolt/d44 front axle for a truck with a 4 inch lift. All you need is the raised steering arm. As long as your steering/ball joints/tie rods are good your not gonna have wandering. I have a 6 inch lift with 35 inch tires and my truck drives fine every day with the 4x4 steering system/daily driver. Also if you go with one ton axles your adding a lot of weight to your truck. That 14b ff is a huge axle bout 500lbs. And you don't really need a d60 front unless your gonna run very large tires, bigger n 35's, and/or you gonna wheel that thing hard off road and you need the d60 strength. Down side of that axle is weight, less gas mileage, and less clearance. Your truck being a 1500 prob has the 700r4 overdrive trans, I'd look for a matched set of axles in at least 4.10 gears. Would be a good ratio for that trans and also 33's or 35's with 4 inch lift.

Thanks bud, great info. I am constantly looking for axles in my spare time online and at parts yards when I think about it. I will keep my eyes open but that is some good info. Im think 4 inch max and no larger the 34s so maybe stock will work since it will mainly be used for camping surf fishing and the occasional offroad excursion, might let my little brother buy it since he is helping work on it for a good price since he just got his license, figured he would have fun with it and I have no problem selling it low for a family member once done bc I can still enjoy it and start a new project. Of course I will have to use it for a bit before that happens

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
Started putting In some insulation cleaned the carpet more too, planning on putting the original back in for now and buying new down the road. might still put some Jute padding in on top of the insulation

Attachments

• insulation.jpg
    insulation.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 120

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Looks good. What brand insulation are you using?

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
Looks good. What brand insulation are you using?

Thanks,
The frost king cheapo insulation from Lowes..its foam backed so no tar and I still have the vinyl that was between the jute padding and carpet which will go back on top of the tranny tunnel then the old carpet which I cleaned as much as I could....I literally hung it up and beat it with a bat and I could not believe the dirt that came out, it made the white pavement turn black with the stuff that came out then vacuum and simple green. didn't et all the stains out but at least it is saturated with sand and dirt now

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Thanks, crossover from what I have read would make it stronger and help reduce steering related issues and wheel travel/wander so I may go that route guess it will depend on if I can find a decent 2wd box for a affordable price. Might use the drop arm first as I know they are fairly inexpensive

Dude don't waste anytime on a drop steering arm. They are junk and shouldn't even be made in the first place! It will throw your steering geometry way off. That's why there junk.

ONLY USE A RAISED STEERING ARM !!!

You could use a block but they can be dangerous! Just spend $80 on a raised steering arm and be done with it. There is no sense in cheeping out in this area.

steelburner83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
7.4L
Dude don't waste anytime on a drop steering arm. They are junk and shouldn't even be made in the first place! It will throw your steering geometry way off. That's why there junk.

ONLY USE A RAISED STEERING ARM !!!

You could use a block but they can be dangerous! Just spend $80 on a raised steering arm and be done with it. There is no sense in cheeping out in this area.

I am running a drop steering arm on mine and haven't experienced any issues yet, is it just the steering geometry that makes them junk or are there future problems I should be on the look out for?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I am running a drop steering arm on mine and haven't experienced any issues yet, is it just the steering geometry that makes them junk or are there future problems I should be on the look out for?

They throw the geometry off and cause quite a bit more stress on the steering gear itself and the frame where the steering gear bolts to.

the raised steering arm is slightly longer then the stock one so this will actually make it easier for the steering gear work. where as the dropped pitman arm makes it more difficult for the steering gear to work.

steelburner83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
7.4L
They throw the geometry off and cause quite a bit more stress on the steering gear itself and the frame where the steering gear bolts to.

the raised steering arm is slightly longer then the stock one so this will actually make it easier for the steering gear work. where as the dropped pitman arm makes it more difficult for the steering gear to work.

interesting, thanks for the info. I will be on the lookout for this

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
Okay, was able to get some more primer done this weekend and all the carpet seat and interior trim back in for the time being, I have just cleaned the carpet for now, still has stains but the stench and dirt are out of it finally, and with the insulation it is very quiet so far. Once the headliner goes back in it should be alright as far as being a functional driver. I also took some pics of that connection that melted and where it is coming out of the harness by the PCV valve maybe someone know what it goes to.

but yeah I know it looks ugly right now, but hey its primer and frankly its a million times better than it was.

Attachments

• IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 144

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
and here is that connection if anyone knows what its to and if it really matters. everything seems okay without it so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 106

quaddriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy R2500
Engine Size
The big one
that kinda looks like the AC clutch connector...

is it a 90* angle? turn it on its side?

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
that kinda looks like the AC clutch connector...

is it a 90* angle? turn it on its side?

yes the connection is a 90 degree turn and has that green wire coming out...that would explain why it doesn't cool down. hah I guess ill see if I can still get it to work or if that's it. Also did some more taping last night...soo freaking humid down here tape hates it plus prep work sucks anyways. oh well hopefully ill be painting soon. then it will be purely mechanics and looking for axles. oh and those side steps and bumpers are a pain the ass to get off I may just cover them

Attachments

• tape.jpg
    tape.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 99
  • tape1.jpg
    tape1.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 116

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score