Murdered out? Too common now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've been considering paint schemes for my '74 LWB with 6" lift and 35's and I keep coming back to what the kids call "Murdered Out" (all satin or flat black). To do it right the truck would lose all of its chrome and get tinted windows. I'm kinda more of a deep wet paint kind of guy but the look does catch my attention. Is it way overdone now? I've heard that maintaining the paint can be problematic. Is there truth to it? There are three other colors I'm considering so no biggie but I'm curious enough to ask for opinions.

Matt

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I've never been a fan of the all black look and I'm even less of a fan these days with everyone and their brother doing it. There have been less than a handful of rides of any kind that I've truly liked that have been completely blacked out. I just don't like the "everything is all one color" thing whether it's black, white, red,.... Just looks bland to me and boring.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
"Murdered out" is also executed with shiny black paint. Saying that, I am with Old77, I don't care for it. All the black (or what ever color) needs some contrast. It almost looks lazy to me, if that makes sense.

HAZZARDJOHN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I hate all black wheels. To me it makes whatever vehicle look like an old taxi cab/ghetto farmer's market truck at a glance.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Stock/nostalgic showroom look, Like 1low4x4's C20 Really gets my heart pumpin....keep the mods under the Hood!

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
Entirely black is no good, either flat satin or gloss. There has to be some contrast even if its just some light pinstripe. IMO the 73 to 79 bodystyle looks great with the factory two tone and all the chrome. Leave the "murdered out" look to the rat rods and teenagers with rattle can paint jobs.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I love a monochrome look, but like on a 454SS or a Chevy Sport. Black wheels and black everything else just looks horrible.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't care for it either, and I'm with Green79, to me it's not only Lazy way out, it's cheap way out. I don't like black vehicles for the reason of the scratches showing up badly. But a well prepped Satin black look really nice IMO. But that doesn't mean you can keep some chrome, like the door handles, mirrors and bumpers. Even with OEM white painted wheels and dog dish hub caps it would still look great IMO.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It costs too damn much to paint a truck just to have someone think I took the cheap way. I too like the two tone scheme and have a few colors I'm considering for a single. I'm leaning towards an orange of some kind so I'll keep leaning.

heffalump

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
2500 suburban
Engine Size
I'm a big fan of flat black and black wheels but, all one color looks good with some chrome or a little pinstriping but EVERYTHING being one color looks like **** to me.. I saw a square @ a car show a few years ago that was dark gun metal with black wheels and all blacked out chrome... looked pretty damn good

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
I'm a big fan of flat black and black wheels but, all one color looks good with some chrome or a little pinstriping but EVERYTHING being one color looks like **** to me.. I saw a square @ a car show a few years ago that was dark gun metal with black wheels and all blacked out chrome... looked pretty damn good

Thats the look I'm eventually going for with my K10.

I agree, I don't really like the "murdered out" When I get a new truck I'm going for the opposite. All white paint and deep black tint and gloss Black and chrome rims , white round metal nerf bars, white fender flares. Chrome dual 3 1/2 inch exhaust tips... haven't spent much time thinking about it though lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It costs too damn much to paint a truck just to have someone think I took the cheap way. I too like the two tone scheme and have a few colors I'm considering for a single. I'm leaning towards an orange of some kind so I'll keep leaning.

Now I didn't mean cheap as far as cost. But you have the right idea, as if spending the money do it right. What I meant by cheap is no masking off. Saves tape and paper. But yeah Lazy is a good way to put it.

Things like blacking out chrome glass moldings are OK. Especially if you're not building a show truck. If you chrome is dinged up or pitted, you can black it out and it hides alot of imrerfection. Go with a Satin Black, Chrome bumpers, grill, mirrors and handles either wheels or hub caps it sure won't look Murdered out.

Chadwick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chadwick
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton
Engine Size
Can't go wrong with black and chrome. Especially on a taller truck.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Blacks sweet, no doubt. I'm starting to think the quality of a satin paint job has something to do with the quality of the paint job

You must be registered for see images attach

Or, it looks better when it's done to something that can stand on its own merits regardless of the paint.

As sometimes any paint would look bad but they chose satin black

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
IN the above 2, I believe the Chevy ll was Black Satin, the Camaro is Satin then shot with clear. Makes a big difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24