Multiple Antenna

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
I just had a new windshield put in, and I went with the one that has the antenna inside the windshield (it was cheaper, actually). The old windshield didn't have one in it, and there is a mast antenna installed on the front passenger side. Have the dash out now, and I see the factory coax adapter for the windshield antenna mounted on the firewall/metal dash in the center.
I will be wiring in a new stereo, speakers, etc. and I see that they make a Y-adapter so you can run 2 antenna inputs. I know the mast antenna will have better reception, but would running a dual antenna setup improve reception/quality even further? I figure "why not" while I have everything apart, but unless this would worsen reception, let me know.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
From signal reception point i do not think it would help as it would change the impedence and the effective length if the antenna. Reception can be made to use multiple antennas and it is common in ither applications; however in this case it does not appear to do any good as reciever was not designed for it

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
actually the windshield antenna is a perfect match for FM bands. look up, build your own FM antenna it will look just like the windshield antenna. highdesertranger

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Interesting, I've heard both good and not so good for both types of antennas, so I thought why not get the best of both, but I guess I don't understand how antennas work then...

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I personally like my winshield antennae versus the mast version. I would bet that the windshield antennae gets better reception than the bird whip.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
on FM you will definitely get better reception with the windshield antenna. highdesertranger

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Looks like I will just go with the windshield antenna then, I rarely listen to am radio anyways. Is the windshield split antenna better for reception or quality on fm waves?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have both types in two different trucks and never really noticed much of a difference. Windshield antenna looks cleaner, which is the reason I prefer windshield one better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1977chevyc30