Muffler placement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Hedman elite headers , 2 1/2 pipe , moroso spiral flow mufflers as far back as I could with 3 inch tips , sounds way good.

You must be registered for see images attach

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Hedman elite headers , 2 1/2 pipe , moroso spiral flow mufflers as far back as I could with 3 inch tips , sounds way good.

This looks good for offroading but would be very illegal in Canada. Just saying for my Canadian bros in case they want to take your example.
We would not only get a fine but the truck would be impounded. Then an expensive mechanic would have to inspect the rig after the exhaust was changed. And his inspection wouldn't just end at the exhaust issues.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
This looks good for offroading but would be very illegal in Canada. Just saying for my Canadian bros in case they want to take your example.
We would not only get a fine but the truck would be impounded. Then an expensive mechanic would have to inspect the rig after the exhaust was changed. And his inspection wouldn't just end at the exhaust issues.

Out of curiosity, what would actually push it into the illegal modification realm?

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Yes Christian good question.
The pipe tip must protrude past the body. It can't dump under the vehicle.
Straight out the back, behind or in front of rear wheels.
Doesn't need to stick out much at all, just clear the body.

A few years back a buddy with his fix or repair f150 went through a DOT (dept of Transportation) check stop.
His pipes went straight back and the tips were flush with the rear bumper. No go. Fortunately for him, the system was recently installed
and the tail pipes were not welded. He crawled under at the check stop, loosened off the tail pipes and slid it back like, 1/2 inch and the
inspecter-pecker-head let him go.

I like 'em to dump just in front of the rear tires. When you're doing a burnout the exhaust blows the smoke back... looks cool!

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
@shiftpro That's an odd regulation, but everywhere seems to have at least a couple of odd regulations.

I've still got factory covers on my dana 44 & 12-bolt. Looks like its an aluminum G2 Axle cover, but @hirschdalechevy should know.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
@shiftpro That's an odd regulation, but everywhere seems to have at least a couple of odd regulations.

I've still got factory covers on my dana 44 & 12-bolt. Looks like its an aluminum G2 Axle cover, but @hirschdalechevy should know.
You saw my post before I edited it... busted!
I realized oops you're not the OP.
Thanks anyway.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yes Christian good question.
The pipe tip must protrude past the body. It can't dump under the vehicle.
Straight out the back, behind or in front of rear wheels.
Doesn't need to stick out much at all, just clear the body.

A few years back a buddy with his fix or repair f150 went through a DOT (dept of Transportation) check stop.
His pipes went straight back and the tips were flush with the rear bumper. No go. Fortunately for him, the system was recently installed
and the tail pipes were not welded. He crawled under at the check stop, loosened off the tail pipes and slid it back like, 1/2 inch and the
inspecter-pecker-head let him go.

I like 'em to dump just in front of the rear tires. When you're doing a burnout the exhaust blows the smoke back... looks cool!
Not debating Canadian DOT regulations here but by that logic every MK4 Golf and Jetta (99-05) and B5 Passat (98-05) as well as them ***** New Beetles would be illegal. The tailpipe never exited the body line from new. Only certain models did, not going down the list ok I will. Golf 337, 20th AE GTI, GLI and R32. Pa has the law that the exhaust must exit the passenger compartment, meaning where you sit as a passenger the seats fold down in those cars so it makes the trunk part of that area. Now to my point, the passenger compartment on a truck is the cab and as long as it passes the body line of the cab it's legal. Blazers and Burbs is understandable, also if you would have a cap on the bed with a blow up seal on it then I could see it having to exit the body line of the bed. I have my inspection license and have called ***** cops on this fact in the past and the left it alone. Pa is one of the prickiest states for safety inspection.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Thanks for the replies.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
My dual flowmaster 40 series mufflers are under the bed just past mid section of the tanks. They dump in front of the r ear axles to both sides. No drone when driving, but whem I stomp,on it....yeah it gets loud. True dual will be quieter then two pipes into a single muffler (more exhaust pressure forced into a single muffler =more resonation). As long as the mufflers are away from the cab.......and it also helps tremendously to line the bottom of the cab with sound deadedning material like DynoMat.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Not debating Canadian DOT regulations here but by that logic every MK4 Golf and Jetta (99-05) and B5 Passat (98-05) as well as them ***** New Beetles would be illegal. The tailpipe never exited the body line from new. Only certain models did, not going down the list ok I will. Golf 337, 20th AE GTI, GLI and R32. Pa has the law that the exhaust must exit the passenger compartment, meaning where you sit as a passenger the seats fold down in those cars so it makes the trunk part of that area. Now to my point, the passenger compartment on a truck is the cab and as long as it passes the body line of the cab it's legal. Blazers and Burbs is understandable, also if you would have a cap on the bed with a blow up seal on it then I could see it having to exit the body line of the bed. I have my inspection license and have called ***** cops on this fact in the past and the left it alone. Pa is one of the prickiest states for safety inspection.
Yep...I used to live there. Vehicle inspections suck there. Here in Az. You can practically get away with having only three wheels on a car. One brake light, rear view mirror, winshield and a horn...you're good to go. Crazy and stupid thing is...with ANY lifted truck, you are required to have mudflaps. The exception is if the vehicle is classified as an suv or a jeep...wtf.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Yep...I used to live there. Vehicle inspections suck there. Here in Az. You can practically get away with having only three wheels on a car. One brake light, rear view mirror, winshield and a horn...you're good to go. Crazy and stupid thing is...with ANY lifted truck, you are required to have mudflaps. The exception is if the vehicle is classified as an suv or a jeep...wtf.

But where do the Jeep Comanche's fall in that classification? It's a truck, but it's a jeep. So can I pull the fenders off my truck and it be a jeep?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
But where do the Jeep Comanche's fall in that classification? It's a truck, but it's a jeep. So can I pull the fenders off my truck and it be a jeep?
CJs and the such, and cherokees are registered station wagons as are Blazers and Burbs as are vans if they have side windows. Camanche and J-series are trucks.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Correct....the Comanches are titled as trucks. I installed a fiberglass shell on my lited Toyota (6inch lift with 35's).....and before the shell, I was constantly given no mud flap repair warnings from cops. With the shell on, no such warnings. Maybe now it's an suv...lol. The mudflap /suv laws are stupid. Basically the mvd is saying that a jeep or suv with 44" swampers won't kick up rocks because it's not titled as a truck. Hell, you can drive a Jeep cj, no fenders, with a lift, big ass tires......no ticket for lack of mudflaps...seriously?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20