Muffler placement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Is it a bad ideal to have mufflers close to the cab like right where the cab and box separates? Probably half the Muffler by on the cab side and the half under the box, this is the Magnaflow XL Turbo Muffler with sound packing.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd put them as far back as you can, unless you're not worried about the drone inside...

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Thought that would be problem but I didn't know, I don't know quite what ill do for the exhaust system. Any ideas?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I've got a set of Flowmaster 40 series on mine. Had no tips after the muffler.. just straight output... She just about droned at anything other than idle... Added a set of 12" turn downs that dump right on the axle and no drone now at all. Sounds great out the back. Now can finally think again haha.

Future exhaust plan is: Long tube headers into 2.5" pipes into the Flowmaster 40's with turn downs over the axle.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've got a set of Flowmaster 40 series on mine. Had no tips after the muffler.. just straight output... She just about droned at anything other than idle... Added a set of 12" turn downs that dump right on the axle and no drone now at all. Sounds great out the back. Now can finally think again haha.

Future exhaust plan is: Long tube headers into 2.5" pipes into the Flowmaster 40's with turn downs over the axle.
You can also use the Delta Flow 40's for even less drone..

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thought that would be problem but I didn't know, I don't know quite what ill do for the exhaust system. Any ideas?
I put a Magnaflow kit on my 75 Nova(supposed to be quiet)with tailpipes, well, they are fairly quiet on acceleration but they sure have a drone inside, not too bad when I'm in overdrive running at 1900r's but it's still there, I had a 468 in my last dually and I put Delta Flow 50 series Flomasters on with tailpipes out behind the wheels, had a badass sound when you got on it but there was no drone,you could whisper and have a conversation in the truck, you'd have to listen for it there was barely a hum, sure wish there was room for them on the Nova...

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Yeah I'm still figuring out the Exhaust but chances are ill just make it like stock with out the turn out. Thanks for the reply!

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate

So you can dump on the Axles? And other than ill have Magnaflows that's exactly what I was thinking of doing.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
So you can dump on the Axles? And other than ill have Magnaflows that's exactly what I was thinking of doing.
Here's how mine is setup:

Used a set of Walker 41809 spouts. Added an adapter since the muffler is designed with a 2.5" ID output and the spouts were the same way. So needed an adapter that was 2.5" OD to fit inside the muffler output.
You must be registered for see images attach

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I think Ill do kinda like what you did cause that what I was thinking. Thanks!

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Here's how mine is setup:

Used a set of Walker 41809 spouts. Added an adapter since the muffler is designed with a 2.5" ID output and the spouts were the same way. So needed an adapter that was 2.5" OD to fit inside the muffler output.
I think I'll do similar to what you did. Thanks!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over

Had mine without any tips previously and had a ton of drone in the cab. Woulda almost swore your radio broke and was pumping out a pure bass tone at anything higher than about 20-25mph.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Had mine without any tips previously and had a ton of drone in the cab. Woulda almost swore your radio broke and was pumping out a pure bass tone at anything higher than about 20-25mph.
Oh it has tips.....

The 3" just sits inside of 5" pipe that comes out where the gas fillers were on each side.

Maaac1789

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I used Schoenfeld longtubes into 2-1/2" pipes into Flowmaster 40s right under the bed, then turn down and slightly out just behind the axle. Sounds awesome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84