mid 9's impala rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
hey there my friend has an extra set of mid 90's impala rear end with 3.73 gears and pbr disc brakes. I was wondering if its possible to swap the 94 impala ss rear end into my 77 c10 shortbed

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
it is possible, have to check the width of it to see if it is the narrow ~61.8" or wider 63". Also it will have a smaller 5 lug bolt circle for the wheels and will need to move the spring perches.

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
damn it seems more of a hassle. im getting it today so ill check it out in a few hours

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The other thing to consider, your '77 should have a 12 bolt. The impala would be a 10 bolt at best, and being a car rear end instead of a truck, may not be as strong.

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i was miss informed from my friend. I thought we were going to swap rear ends, but he was talking about using the impala rear brakes setup on my truck. Im going to see if the backing plates and calipers will work on my rear end

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The Impala used the same wheel bolt pattern as the C10.

It doesn't matter much now, but the Impala rear axle should be valuable to a lot of people. It will swap into a lot of older B-bodies, and should have a nice posi too. It could be sold to fund upgrading your current axle without having to cut and weld housings.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Impala's dont have spring perches, they have have links with coil springs. You will be cutting alot of **** off.

I have some real world experience to offer on Impala SS rear ends. I can roll through a corner and break both tires loose. It will do donuts no problem, one night we tore up a wet parking lot and that big ass car was whipping donuts so hard it was going backwards with the tires burning forwards :party36:

From a dead stop turning right, if I goose it and try to get sideways it just smokes the right tire, every time. Its not like the posi my truck has in its 12 bolt, you dont feel the tires lock together.

I would not go through the work to put an impala rear end in a truck you plan on hooning in. Factory setup is kinda lame and lacks the violence you want from a rear end.

Search around on this forum, I seem to remember a guy piecing together rear disk brakes for a C-10 using some **** off an astro van.

77c102door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harjeet
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The Impala used the same wheel bolt pattern as the C10.

It doesn't matter much now, but the Impala rear axle should be valuable to a lot of people. It will swap into a lot of older B-bodies, and should have a nice posi too. It could be sold to fund upgrading your current axle without having to cut and weld housings.

according to my friend, the posi unit in the rear end he gave me is shot. but the axles are in good shape. I might keep the axles and then junk the whole housing and posi unit. im def keeping the pbr brakes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm