Metric and SAE steering hose fitting mystery '79

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stu64

Reaction score
First Name
stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Just a info post: recently replaced the Hydroboost lines on my '79 C30, found the pressure line wouldn't seat in the steering box. Turns out the box (which is NOT stamped with the metric part number) has the metric seat, but the PS pump and Hydroboost have SAE. The old SAE lines actually seated and sealed in the metric box, i noticed they were really low in the boss. The lines look to be factory, very bizzare. I got the brass adaptors to use the SAE lines but thought this was noteworthy.

Had to reinstall the old line to get it back on the road, it's literally 15-20 thousands longer at the fitting which let the nut clear the boss.

Anyone ever see this?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Odd. I've never had my '79 apart so I can't say about that. Do you know if your truck was built very late in the model year? Maybe some '80 boxes made it to the assembly line too soon?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
79 is the first year for metric conversion of some fittings & fasteners, such as brake caliper banjo bolts. It doesn't really surprise me you ran into a real mixed bag there. Is it possible the hydroboost & ps pump aren't original?

stu64

Reaction score
First Name
stu
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
No, everthing is stock. It is odd, I agree. Hard to believe this could make it off the assemblly line but I guess it didn't leak so let it rip. I can imagine the "are we gonna stop production?" conversations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack1989