master cylinder and booster question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77blackout

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
383 stroker
so my truck has been sitting for quite a while i wanna replace the master cylinder and booster my buddy has a booster and master cylinder off a 69 camaro that is brand new will this fit my truck?? mine is a 77 k10 with 1 ton axles?

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
I'm not certain, but I seriously doubt they would be the same. The master is like 30 bucks at Napa. I was going to rebuild mine, but the rebuild kit was 25 and had to be ordered and a new one was 30 bucks in stock. If the camaro booster is the same dia. with the same bolt mounting pattern it would probably work. The master would then bolt up, but is the bore the same? Brakes are much bigger on a one ton truck.

77blackout

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
383 stroker
so since this is a half ton truck body on 1 ton axles should i go buy a master cylinder and booster for a one ton truck of my year?

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
Brake parts can be mixed and matched if you know what your doing. If the bore and stoke of the master cylinders are the same you shouldn't have any problems. But I don't know all the differences between 1/2 ton and one ton brake "systems." I say system because its all engineered to work together.

My recommendation is to get all 1 ton stuff master, brakes, proportioning valve and then bump up to stainless braided flex lines, because if youve put the heavier axles in its likely you've also got bigger tires and will be giving the brakes a workout off road.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Keep in mind, 1979 was the last year for vacuum power brakes on 1 tons as far as I know. It was all hydraulic boost after that.

77blackout

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra
Engine Size
383 stroker
where is the best place to get extended front brake lines?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood