Making a single tank '79 bed, a dual '76

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
Hi All,

This weekend I picked up a 'parts' truck that is a complete shortbed '79. It's a single passenger tank, with a fuel door(as was standard in '79 from what I can tell).

I want the bed to swap on my '76 C20 custom deluxe CCLB. I'm trying to build more or less a factory short bed, as it would have come in '76.

The goal is to keep dual tanks, and swap my long bed tanks for shortbed tanks. I want to keep the fuel caps, and loose the fuel door that is currently on the bed.

My questions-
  • the easiest way to repair the passenger side of the bed is to put a bedside on it. I figure I can buy a round fuel filler bedside panel for the 73-78 trucks. this would fix my dents and give me the correct fuel filler on the passenger side.
  • the drivers bedside is in good shape. No need for a full bedside change. Is adding the fuel filler as simple as getting a patch with the filler I want and putting it in the bedside? What about the inside bed pieces that support the filler? The floor is already notched for a filler... Doesn't anyone know of a supplier for just the filler opening in the bedside or do I need another donor bed to chop it out of?
  • I'm going to swap the hardware on the tailgate to the earlier first style. Is there anything else I need to do to make the '79 bed precisely a '76 bed?
  • Can I use my stock long bed fuel filler tubes? I'm not trying to cut up my current long bed as it's in good condition, but I can rob all the bolt on parts off it...

I appreciate any info you guys have. Thanks.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
What about adding a blazer/burban tank, and putting the filler on the same side as yours is now, except behind the wheel opening. Similar to what Honkey Kong jr did to relocate the tank on his bed? A plus would be the ability to fill both tanks from the same side.

RADustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crewcab
Engine Size
I'm going to be putting a winch and spare under the rear. Which I know is not factory in '76, but I don't want the spare in the bed.

I will eventually have a diesel in the truck(long term plan), so having fillers on both sides is not a problem for truck stop fill ups. The inner diameter of the opening may cause me grief, but I'll worry about that later lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus