lowering on the cheap - questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I'm thinking of temporarily lowering my SWB by cutting a round out of the coils. Does this mean roughly a 2" drop? Also, what is a simple way to drop the rear about 3-4 inches?
I'm also worried about ruining my new shocks...thoughts?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
The cheapest way to drop 2/4in on the cheap is to cut 1 round off the front coils(2in), mount the front leaf spring hangers 4in higher on the frame, and install 2in drop shackles. That's about $50-60 in parts plus a front end alignment.

Hoodbj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I'm interested in doing this also. Do you just drill or cut out the factory rivets on the hanger and measure up higher on the frame and drill new holes and reinstall with bolts? Would this affect the angle of the driveshaft enough to worry about?

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I'm interested in doing this also. Do you just drill or cut out the factory rivets on the hanger and measure up higher on the frame and drill new holes and reinstall with bolts? Would this affect the angle of the driveshaft enough to worry about?
Yes you have to cut the rivets out and measure then redrill the frame. Use grade 8 bolts 3/8 by 1in bolts with washers and lock washers. Driveline angle changes a little but typically doesn't cause any problems.

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks - do I run the risk of bottoming out my shocks or do they need to be shorter?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06