Loose Oil Filler neck 86 C10 Silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sk8almost44

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Hello! I recently purchased a '86 Chevy C10 Silverado, and I noticed immediately there is burning oil on one of the valve covers. There is a tube come out of the valve cover, that is very loose and oil is able to come out of it. I believe it is the oil fill neck? Anyways, there looks like a seal or gasket that is between the tube and valve cover, and it isn't doing it's job. How can I replace this seal/gasket, or take the whole tube out and just pop a cap over the hole. Please look at the video link below, I hope this is enough detail to help me solve this!!

https://youtu.be/IA_lXDeflvw

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum! I know exactly what you're talking about. You can go to the Dorman Help! section of your local auto parts store and find part no. 42306. That's the engine oil filler tube grommet. You could also buy a universal oil lid, which I have on my two vehicles. I have a 305 on the stand with the tube, and I like that setup better. Save receipts, though. Just because something is universal doesn't mean it'll necessarily work.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site.

Sk8almost44

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum! I know exactly what you're talking about. You can go to the Dorman Help! section of your local auto parts store and find part no. 42306. That's the engine oil filler tube grommet. You could also buy a universal oil lid, which I have on my two vehicles. I have a 305 on the stand with the tube, and I like that setup better. Save receipts, though. Just because something is universal doesn't mean it'll necessarily work.

Thank you! How do I replace the grommet, do I just pull the tube out, twist it out, or take the whole valve cover off?

Welcome to the site.

Thank you!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
My tube has a hold down clamp so if yours does, unbolt that. Then pull the tube out. I'm guessing since yours is so loose, the tube will come out and the grommet will still be in there. If that's the case, get a flathead screwdriver and pick the old one out. If it's not brittle, it won't be awful, but if it is, it'll be kind of annoying. The valve cover shouldn't need to come out. Once you get all the old junk out of there, use the same screwdriver to seat the new grommet because there's a lip on the bottom that's gotta be tucked in.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
You can simple delete that tube....And save your money. Did you try to tighten it? All it wants is a 1/4 turn.
Adding oil loosened it ibetcha. I throw those tubes away! They are "hokey ********".

Last edited:

Sk8almost44

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
I removed the air filter to access the bolt holding down the loose oil filler. That part number was too fat, and too small. I'm going to take the old one to the part store and find the right one.

For now, I was able to just screw the oil cap right in the hole no problem. I decided to do my valve cover gaskets while I was down there, boy what a job! The driver side valve cover was so difficult because of all the crap in the way!! Everything took 5 hours to complete..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
92 X-Ray