Loose/broken harmonic balancer - and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That is AWESOME. Score for you guys! Haha!

I'll get this balancer off and try to determine what's really going on in there. Can't really do much other than speculate at this point. Perhaps this weekend I'll have enough time to steal away and get it pulled.

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
OK, boys.....an update:

I was able to get the balancer off using the cheapest-piece-of-crap-made-in-China puller I've ever touched in my life. Good news - I got the balancer off! Bad news - pretty sure I mangled the puller beyond any future use.

So - it's off! Good news - the balancer looks GREAT. No cracks/chips/burrs/etc., and the woodruff key was still in place! Awesome!

Bad news - the nose of the crank still wibbles/wobbles/shimmies/shakes - just as she did before. Seriously, I can push it in and out, lift it up and down - all kinds of sloppy. Lots of neat clunky sounds to go with it. Haha. I took a short video but because our internet/cell service is so horrific out here at the house, I'll likely not be able to upload it until I get to work tomorrow. That's ok; it will save you the night sweats from watching it right now!

I'm guessing all of this means that the "well, you're screwed" side of the ledger sheet outweighs the "hey, I think you're going to make it" side.

Any thoughts? Where do I go from here? Clean up the 400 sbc that I've been saving and prepare for a heart transplant?

I can hear "Taps" playing in the background right now.......

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
As I suspected, broken crank or severely bad main bearings which engines usually don't get the chance to get that bad of mains.

If the mains got that bad, I'd say the thrust is probably eaten off the crank.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Bummer, time to tear it down..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, Tear it down. If it's a broken crank, better consider it needing a line bore. You just never know at what type of stress it went through or how the mains were jerked when it went. Which isn't a bad thing. If I ever have to line bore a block and it's a 2 bolt main. That's when it's time to do splayed mains and make a power house.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What size engine is this?

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Gosh, I was told it was a 350ci, but the casting numbers indicate that it may also be a 307ci.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yep, Tear it down. If it's a broken crank, better consider it needing a line bore. You just never know at what type of stress it went through or how the mains were jerked when it went. Which isn't a bad thing. If I ever have to line bore a block and it's a 2 bolt main. That's when it's time to do splayed mains and make a power house.
Or just drop a big block in it and forget about it.. :D

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There is no it may also be a 307. A 307 is a 3.875 bore not a 4.0 bore. If it's a 307, don't even waste your time with that POS. Scrap it !!! It's not worth your time. Save any brackets you need for a 350 and trash the rest. You might run the cast # on the heads and see what they are, but honestly, I have a feeling they're going to be soft seat heads and with poor breathing, not even worth hardened seats for unleaded fuel so that means it's all trash unless you want the 5.7 rods for another build. JMO.

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Here's the casting numbers:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
That's not the casting numbers, they are on the block in the back on the drivers side just below the head.

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
OK, these are on the front right (passenger) side of the block, just below the head.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, in the front and they are stamped not cast, as I said they are in the back cast in the block on the drivers side below the head.

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have yet to chase down those casting numbers; they're not super easy to get to on this truck, and knowing that it's got to come out regardless has dampened my motivation for the immediate time being!

Hey - how much would you allow yourself to remove and replace this engine? A weekend? I imagine I'll stab seals on both ends of the tranny since it's been sitting for so long. Could I get it out in a long Saturday (maybe with the help of a good buddy!)? Polish up the tranny, make sure the replacement engine is dialed in, then reverse the process?

Gotta recall - I've never done this on my own. Ever.

So - what would you allow? Whatever you say, I'll triple it! hahaha! Just curious what sort of time you'd be thinking.....

cptmoney

Reaction score
First Name
Tucker
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It may just be that this one has to go live somewhere else. I have too many irons in the fire, and to add an engine swap may be the straw for this ol' girl......and I'm embarrassed to even utter such words in a place as great as this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
92 X-Ray