locking hub question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
hey guys. ive got a part time kit in my np203 and warn manual locking hubs. my question is, could i just leave my hubs locked and have my transfer case in 2 hi then when i need just shift it back to 4hi so i dont have to get out? pros cons welcomed. I dont mind getting out, I actually like doin it but just in case of sketchy weather on a short trip is when i thought it might be nice.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes, you can do that. I drive all winter with the hubs locked on my Burb, unless I'm going on a long trip on the highway, then I'll unlock them.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Pros-
more convenient
front diff gets lube sloshed around real good so everything's lubed
quicker 2wd to 4wd if being chased by the law
wont get your hands dirty from a cruddy hub knob

Cons-
lower fuel economy from the front driveline spinning creating rolling resistance
increased wear on parts

I've done it with no adverse problems in the winter. Just expect axle joints, front driveline u-joints, etc needing more grease.

78 K-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
cheyne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
i thought front diff and driveshaft spun in 4 hi with hubs unlocked... good to know guys thanks.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
hey guys. ive got a part time kit in my np203 and warn manual locking hubs. my question is, could i just leave my hubs locked and have my transfer case in 2 hi then when i need just shift it back to 4hi so i dont have to get out? pros cons welcomed. I dont mind getting out, I actually like doin it but just in case of sketchy weather on a short trip is when i thought it might be nice.

i drove around like that all the time,,, words of advice from me...
make sure your yokes are in great condition... heres why and what happened to my truck...

so im on the freeway doing 75, hubs locked, (np203 with conversion, so 2hi) the yoke on the front output on the xcase went. my hubs were locked, thats why the front drive shaft swung around and smashed the transmission case and cracked it, destroyed my fuel and brake lines along the rail, tweeked my crossmember and tweeked my frame slightly...

almost rebuilt and i will still drive with the hubs locked,,, for the exact reason you stated, its nice to just tear off the highway into the mud and shift on the fly to 4x4.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
78 K10 says: i thought front diff and driveshaft spun in 4 hi with hubs unlocked

And you were correct - they do! So don't change that mindset:

With the hubs set to free/unlock, if the transfer case is in either 4WD position (HI or LO), the forward drive train is completely engaged and rotating up to the front wheels.

However in this configuration, while the foward drive shaft, differential, axles & u-joints are mechanically coupled and spinning, they are only, what...along for the ride.

There is minimum additional engine load. Whatever extra power is consumed comes from frictional losses at the u-joints, gear mesh and bearings.

Actual power transmission to the wheels (and thus the road) does not occur until the front hubs are engaged.

Even then, in theory anyway, it's a wash. Whatever load the front drive takes up is deducted from the rear drive train.

Last edited:

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It make my steering effort a little heavier than unlocked and affect turning radius slightly.otherwise no problems.Same setup,203 converted and warn locking hubs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06