LMC Truck Battery tray doesn't fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I just bought a new interstate MTP-75 battery, and my LMC truck order came in the same day. I needed a new battery tray because the old one was rusted unbelievably bad, and fixed up with a piece of steel to cover it. I spent a lot of time sanding down the side part for the battery tray and painting it with rust reforming paint, and when I went to put it back together, I noticed the tray didn't fit. It is way too long and pushes the side piece over so that it doesn't line up with the screw holes.

Why doesn't this part fit? It clearly says for a 73-80 Chevy truck. Could it just be that I need to use it with the side piece of the same brand? It isn't even close to fitting. Anyone have experience with this part?

I just don't want my new battery to sit for a week while I wait for another part to come in. I'm sorta at a loss of what to do. I was all excited to get everything back together and start driving. It is really never that easy though.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
It doesn't fit because there was a million options... HD battery from factory perhaps would even come with a deeper or larger tray. I'm sorry yours doesn't fit but now you have the cool job of modifying it! Get us some pics and maybe we can help finger out a solution with ya.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
I just bought a new interstate MTP-75 battery, and my LMC truck order came in the same day. I needed a new battery tray because the old one was rusted unbelievably bad, and fixed up with a piece of steel to cover it. I spent a lot of time sanding down the side part for the battery tray and painting it with rust reforming paint, and when I went to put it back together, I noticed the tray didn't fit. It is way too long and pushes the side piece over so that it doesn't line up with the screw holes.

Why doesn't this part fit? It clearly says for a 73-80 Chevy truck. Could it just be that I need to use it with the side piece of the same brand? It isn't even close to fitting. Anyone have experience with this part?

I just don't want my new battery to sit for a week while I wait for another part to come in. I'm sorta at a loss of what to do. I was all excited to get everything back together and start driving. It is really never that easy though.

I see your pretty young. This is a common problem with all auto parts and the older the car or truck the worse it is. There are several reasons parts dont fit. Manufacturing changes, there could be several versions of the part you want and you simple ordered the wrong one. Sometimes aftermarket parts manufactures only produce the most common or newest version of the part and we get to MAKE it fit. Sometimes they just pull the wrong part. And my favorite is "That's what the computer says it takes" that ones the chain stores answer to most wrong parts. Match up photos , most online listings post photos and most auto parts stores have photos of there parts to, just ask the counter person they will show you. If in doubt take it back . Hope this helps.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Outside dimensions on my '78 Suburban are from

fender to edge 12"
radiator support to edge 8"

inside actual battery mounting area

7"x11"

Dan Miller

K15SG
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
They may have sent you one for the drivers side. Like for an aux battery ??

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
They may have sent you one for the drivers side. Like for an aux battery ??
for '73-'80, the actual tray is the same part number for either side, they use a different support though, stock side uses a "hanger assembly", aux side uses a "support assembly", totally different shapes, unlike 81-up that look close to the same, just RH/LH.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
for '73-'80, the actual tray is the same part number for either side, they use a different support though, stock side uses a "hanger assembly", aux side uses a "support assembly", totally different shapes, unlike 81-up that look close to the same, just RH/LH.
See that is what I'm thinking could be my issue. I actually managed to get it in. It didn't look like it would fit at all before, but once I put the support in first and tried to squeeze in the tray it isn't as far off as I thought. It is however not level. The support side of the tray is much higher and the screw hole doesn't line up. It took a lot of effort to squeeze that thing in though. The two screw holes on the other side had pieces that were bent out and the original was flat, so I think once those bent flat after jamming it in there, It fit a bit better.

I am wondering if maybe all I need is the side support from LMC. Maybe they are just meant to go together and will fit more accurately. It does look slightly different than the stock support so I might try it. Meanwhile I temporarily put in the battery in even though it isn't level, and now I can move the truck around until the part comes in. Does that make any sense that I would need to buy the same brand side support to make it fit? I'll throw in some pics of what it looked like before and now.

You must be registered for see images attach

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
it's aftermarket, the holes never line up. It's something you gotta get used to. Even original GM parts require tweaking.

As far as it being level I don't think it matters that much, unless it's visually distracting. When checking level you also need to check the surrounding parts, put the level on the radiator support and see where it sits. If it's the same as in the battery tray you're good.

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
it's aftermarket, the holes never line up. It's something you gotta get used to. Even original GM parts require tweaking.

As far as it being level I don't think it matters that much, unless it's visually distracting. When checking level you also need to check the surrounding parts, put the level on the radiator support and see where it sits. If it's the same as in the battery tray you're good.
Well the battery definitely looks slanted when you compare it to the radiator support. It is probably fine, but it's just more of an OCD thing. I want to fix it right, and it just doesn't look great.

I ordered the side support from LMC to see if they match up any better. Now that I basically got the tray for free I might as well put it towards the support and see if it solves the problem.

Guess I wasted money on paint, but I still have some left for other stuff. I'll keep everyone updated. This could be useful for others purchasing their battery tray.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

thecantaloupeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dawson
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Well the battery definitely looks slanted when you compare it to the radiator support. It is probably fine, but it's just more of an OCD thing. I want to fix it right, and it just doesn't look great.

I ordered the side support from LMC to see if they match up any better. Now that I basically got the tray for free I might as well put it towards the support and see if it solves the problem.

Guess I wasted money on paint, but I still have some left for other stuff. I'll keep everyone updated. This could be useful for others purchasing their battery tray.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising