little more H/P and Torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnieb

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 Goodwrench/replaced 6.2
Just some cheap H/P, Here's what I want to do: I picked up some 062 heads and an intake manifold to match to use my carb, I also have the roller lifters, but after wanting to go all the way I thought I'd start by just adding the heads, and a flat tappet cam no more than a 160-180 lift as that is all the vortec heads can take without modifications, the quest is for more torque and not so much high end H/P. The block in the truck is a 90's goodwrench motor with less than 50000 mi. still clean and sounds and runs good....just underpowered... probably rated for like 194hp out of the box. Thought I would just go this route and see how it does, If I don't like it I'll probably just build a stroker and get a roller block and stroke it. Just wanted to get some input on the cheapo way. I think I could gain around 50hp with the right cam, and more importantly some lower end torque. The heads on it now are 76cc and the vortecs are 64 so it will at least get a higher compression in a higher flowing better burning head. Thanks, let's hear what you think.

johnnieb

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
or not, cmon some of you guys played with this???

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well, if it's a mid-90's block, it should already be ready for a roller cam if you feel like a flat tappet would hold you back. Your formula sounds fine for gains in both HP and torque. A more torque-centric with horsepower to the side build would be like swirl port heads and shorty headers with a better cam. They're not much good for anything else than that, and I still wouldn't fool with swirl port heads, especially since you have those Vortecs. Those are the gold standard in SBC factory cast iron heads. The 062 heads and intake will help a lot, and a cam to the specs of what stock Vortecs can handle will help, too. That's what I'd do/want to do/plan to do. Plus headers and other bits and pieces. If I find a roller cam that'll maintain good idle and good vacuum, I'd do that. If I can't, though, I'll just do a Comp hydraulic flat tappet.

johnnieb

Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Just some cheap H/P, Here's what I want to do: I picked up some 062 heads and an intake manifold to match to use my carb, I also have the roller lifters, but after wanting to go all the way I thought I'd start by just adding the heads, and a flat tappet cam no more than a 160-180 lift as that is all the vortec heads can take without modifications, the quest is for more torque and not so much high end H/P. The block in the truck is a 90's goodwrench motor with less than 50000 mi. still clean and sounds and runs good....just underpowered... probably rated for like 194hp out of the box. Thought I would just go this route and see how it does, If I don't like it I'll probably just build a stroker and get a roller block and stroke it. Just wanted to get some input on the cheapo way. I think I could gain around 50hp with the right cam, and more importantly some lower end torque. The heads on it now are 76cc and the vortecs are 64 so it will at least get a higher compression in a higher flowing better burning head. Thanks, let's hear what you think.

I meant to say 450-480 lift cam, my block is not a roller block, looking to build on a 880 or preferably a 638 casting block

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceyman72