Light Bar + Switch Panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
So right now there are these goofy lights up front that I really don't like how they look (link to picture). They also don't work - I'm pretty sure that's because the wiring was partially removed and I repurposed the switch that was probably for the lights for my stereo.

Anyway, not only do I want to remove the lights and put a light bar, but I want to get a proper switch panel.

Has anybody put something like this in their square? I know, it's not very original looking but neither is an LED light bar :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-1-3-Ga...et-Power-Plug-Voltmeter-Charger-/222232256973

For the lightbar, should I put it on the bumper where the lights are now, so the holes from them are less ugly and exposed? Or do you think the lightbar is likely to get damaged/stolen and I'm better of putting it behind the grille or something. Or I could get a really long one and mount it over the windsheild? IDK how that would look on a square body though...

And what is a good, not too expensive lightbar? I am not going to be using it much so it doesn't need to be super premium quality. I found this cheap one for if I put it on the front bumper, but I'm worried it will be total junk and a waste of money: http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-inch-300...-LAMP-WORK-SUV-ATV-CAR-4WD-BOAT-/181410457147

Thank you for any input!

Last edited:

Flyr282

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I have a 30" Rigid Led Hyperspot/flood bar bolted to my front bumper. Not the cheapest light bar but certainly one of the brightest.

For the switch I just drilled a 1" hole in the dash next to the headlight switch. I plan on building a proper switch box in the near future. I built one in my last truck from something like this https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Waterproof-Electric-Junction-2-3x1-4-Inches/dp/B00O9Y633G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1474171428&sr=8-5&keywords=project+box and mounted it with dual lock velcro to the cup holder area in my 06 silverado. Using a project box you can arrange the switches how ever you like or what suits you and they are really simple to wire up.

You must be registered for see images attach

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I have a 30" Rigid Led Hyperspot/flood bar bolted to my front bumper. Not the cheapest light bar but certainly one of the brightest.

For the switch I just drilled a 1" hole in the dash next to the headlight switch. I plan on building a proper switch box in the near future. I built one in my last truck from something like this https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Waterproof-Electric-Junction-2-3x1-4-Inches/dp/B00O9Y633G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1474171428&sr=8-5&keywords=project+box and mounted it with dual lock velcro to the cup holder area in my 06 silverado. Using a project box you can arrange the switches how ever you like or what suits you and they are really simple to wire up.

that light bar looks great! and those "project boxes" look pretty handy. have you ever had any problems with damage to your lightbar due to stuff hitting it or kicking it when working on your truck? Thank you :)

Schanen51

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 detroit diesel
I'll post up a picture of my switch panel tomorrow morning. It's under the ashtray

Flyr282

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I actually installed the light bar right before I deployed so I didn't have it on long and won't have time to play with it for another month when I get home. Only thing with the mount was I had to hammer the center of the bumper flat to make it fit better. I might do up another project box if I end up buying more lights.

Schanen51

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 detroit diesel
Here is my switch panel. From. Left to right: fog lamps, side lamps, light bar, and glow plugs. To the right of that is air compressor. Made from simple L brackets. I had a light bar mounted above the windshield too. Wasn't a fan of it, so I replaced it with cab lights. If you do mount a light bar above the windshield, mount it far enough away from the cab to make sure that it doesn't whistle as you drive. Most annoying sound in the world...

Attachments

• 20161008_121557.jpg
    20161008_121557.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 3,592

Schanen51

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.2 detroit diesel
Also, if you're just looking for some more light output, you could get flush mount led pods ($30 on amazon) to sit in your bumper. Easy to install and wire up. You could even run it into an existing hot wire, so you won't have to run a separate switch. As for a cheap(er) light bar, look an amazon also.... check reviews and the likes. It's not really necessary to spend hundreds on a rigid if you're not going to beat the **** out of it. Anything that has decent output will do just fine. Digidiodes has some decent ones too. If you need a roof mount, hit me up, I have the ones I took off of mine. Could get them to you for like 30 bucks plus shipping.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
hmm... those flush mount led pods look very interesting. i might put something like that in the back bumper to assist with tailgaters and as better reverse lights too because the stock ones are useless!

on the front i rather like the look of a "real" lightbar. i think i'm going to get a cheap-ish one on amazon and mount it on the bumper.

appreciate the offer for inexpensive roof mounts but i just don't think the look is right from your picture and others online imo. it looks awesome on the 08+ silverado/sierras but on the square body i guess i'm not a huge fan.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
One trick that my buddy and I figured out to help with the light bar whistle, is to take a couple strips of door edge trimming and place that on the rear cooling fins. Stopped the whistling immediately.

Also, I've personally gotten tired of seeing windshield mounted light bars. Definitely prefer it to be in the grille/bumper and/or on the front of a rack/basket.

But I sure do love my HID converted Hella 700ff's on the front of my truck, along with a bussmann rtmr relay box. Switch panel in center console at the moment.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Lifted91K5

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
One trick that my buddy and I figured out to help with the light bar whistle, is to take a couple strips of door edge trimming and place that on the rear cooling fins. Stopped the whistling immediately.

Also, I've personally gotten tired of seeing windshield mounted light bars. Definitely prefer it to be in the grille/bumper and/or on the front of a rack/basket.

But I sure do love my HID converted Hella 700ff's on the front of my truck, along with a bussmann rtmr relay box. Switch panel in center console at the moment.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have the same battery hold down

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I have the same battery hold down

Work fantastic, don't they?

Also have the stock style v-clamp, but doesn't work the best. Plus, snapped that tie strap pretty short so it was pretty close to the perfect length for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64