Lifted Dually Suburban wheels/tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I get it. I've always wanted to build a dually Suburban too, just because it looks so cool. I mean, it could add capacity and stability even with a bumper pull trailer... depending on springs and tires. But let's face it, it's the look that is most important here, lol.

ButchM

Reaction score
First Name
Butch
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Do anyone use 285/75-16 on stock dually wheels without spacer or it must use spacer?

Garth/Svein
I put 285/75-16s with factory size Alcoa's on my K30 many years ago, way way early 90's. I've put well over 200k miles on this combo before I parked it in 2011. The truck has a 2 1/2" lift and 1 1/2" spacers on the rear. The truck sits flat with no load, it had 3+ yds of gravel in the bed when I took these photos so its up in the front and down in the back (split the diff between front and back and that where it sits). The guy at the gravel yard said it was 10k-12k lbs of gravel in the bed, the 11 leaf spring packs were working that day! These pics should give an idea of the fit/look on the truck. On the rear (no load) there is about 1 1/2' between the tires at the top and about 1/2-3/4" at the bottom, at the bulge-> closest to each other. This is where you want to be to prevent tire rub going down the highway. The rears extent out past the fenders about 1/2"-3/4". This has never been a problem in the rain or mud, meaning it doesn't sling water or mud all over the place and don't stick out so far it looks (insert your preferred word for stupid).
Never had a problem with the wheel spacers. Some will advise against them but if you get good quality ones they should last forever with no problems.
I can get more photos if they would help.
I noted:
- you have a V2500 with a 14 bolt. Does it have the hydro boost brakes? If so, and if it has the load proportioning valve above the rear axle make sure to get a setting measurement on the valve before you make any changes. It will save you much headache getting it set so the rear brakes work properly.
-picking up a D70.... Is it a D70 or D70HD, they are not the same, I have both. My 86 came with a D70HD rear and D60 front. Not sure what years had which. You can google the differences, although it likely won't make a diff for what you're planning. I would recommend checking the flange to flange dimension on the rear against a dually axle dimensions.
This is my first post on a forum ever so I hope it comes across ok. I don't check this often but I believe I set it up to notify me when I get a reply.
Good luck!!

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
That’s a pretty sweet 3+3!

I’d call the Office of Weights and Measures if that material yard told you that there was 10-12k of gravel in that bed. If you fill a long bed to the brim on all sides with a slight mound in the middle, that’s 3 yards. 3 yards of 3/4 crushed is typically a hair under 8k. Even 2 yards is pretty gnarly in a 80s pickup.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That’s a pretty sweet 3+3!

I’d call the Office of Weights and Measures if that material yard told you that there was 10-12k of gravel in that bed. If you fill a long bed to the brim on all sides with a slight mound in the middle, that’s 3 yards. 3 yards of 3/4 crushed is typically a hair under 8k. Even 2 yards is pretty gnarly in a 80s pickup.
Yeah that was my first reaction. Loader dude was FOS. That’s maybe 3 tons max in that pic not 5-6tons.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Please don't be offended, just trying to understand the logic behind the project. Adding the time and expense of changing the rear axle, related fab work (brackets, u-joints, driveshaft), fender flares, paint/body, additional cost/maintenance of two additional tires & rims to create something that further erodes gas mileage, has less traction and doesn't increase hauling /towing capacity?
If it's just the "cool factor" I get it. Otherwise.....:popcorn:. And...where's the pics?
That’s exactly why he’s doing it. As stated in the first post.
Not like a 3/4 ton old gasser with a lift and big tires gets even decent mileage to begin with. So no real harm there.
YUP! lol

She was originally eyeballing newish crew cab duallys, diesel rigs. Obviously I was a tad beside myself at the idea of a $40k 1ton rig to haul kids and groceries. We'd JUST sold her '04 Suburban, which she HATED, but was ideally suited to her needs. I discovered she had weakness for the square body Burbs..... so we found this one. It's her around town, go get groceries or take the kids to sports, toy rig. If she has to hop on the highway or go far, she takes the pickup ('04 CC Sierra) usually.

Right after we got it, I asked her what her ultimate goal was for the Suburban. She said "I want it big, loud and nasty. When someone see's it from far away, I want them to KNOW it's ME!".
:rolleyes::laughing1:

She also hinted, then outright asked, if a Cummins swap could be a thing. Yeah.... NO! Or at least not right now. I'm not even sure what wheels we're gonna run yet. Gotta get this axle stripped down, gone through, and ready to install. Figure out what all I need to do to get the new fenders fit just so, and probably really start looking at getting it prepped for a quick paint job.

I need to figure out what she likes for bumpers too. Something in the "big and nasty" category that still looks decent, or I'm not putting it on. As she put it "I wanna be able to smash a Prius, if I need to."

Short answer..... the words "practical" and "sensible" are not part of the conversation. lol

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
YUP! lol

She was originally eyeballing newish crew cab duallys, diesel rigs. Obviously I was a tad beside myself at the idea of a $40k 1ton rig to haul kids and groceries. We'd JUST sold her '04 Suburban, which she HATED, but was ideally suited to her needs. I discovered she had weakness for the square body Burbs..... so we found this one. It's her around town, go get groceries or take the kids to sports, toy rig. If she has to hop on the highway or go far, she takes the pickup ('04 CC Sierra) usually.

Right after we got it, I asked her what her ultimate goal was for the Suburban. She said "I want it big, loud and nasty. When someone see's it from far away, I want them to KNOW it's ME!".

She also hinted, then outright asked, if a Cummins swap could be a thing. Yeah.... NO! Or at least not right now. I'm not even sure what wheels we're gonna run yet. Gotta get this axle stripped down, gone through, and ready to install. Figure out what all I need to do to get the new fenders fit just so, and probably really start looking at getting it prepped for a quick paint job.

I need to figure out what she likes for bumpers too. Something in the "big and nasty" category that still looks decent, or I'm not putting it on. As she put it "I wanna be able to smash a Prius, if I need to."

Short answer..... the words "practical" and "sensible" are not part of the conversation. lol
Well she sounds like a keeper. Lol. After several trips to Europe my wife refuses to drive anything American now. On our third Volvo and I'm secretly impressed but try not to show it. With the lease ending in April she's been looking and I'm afraid she's moved on to Mercedes at this point. I cringe but I'm secretly excited so I think I can relate to your situation. If mama ain't happy nobody is happy. I just bought a new KLR 650 so I can't really say anything. I get it.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
- you have a V2500 with a 14 bolt. Does it have the hydro boost brakes? If so, and if it has the load proportioning valve above the rear axle make sure to get a setting measurement on the valve before you make any changes. It will save you much headache getting it set so the rear brakes work properly.
-picking up a D70.... Is it a D70 or D70HD, they are not the same, I have both. My 86 came with a D70HD rear and D60 front. Not sure what years had which. You can google the differences, although it likely won't make a diff for what you're planning. I would recommend checking the flange to flange dimension on the rear against a dually axle dimensions.
This is my first post on a forum ever so I hope it comes across ok. I don't check this often but I believe I set it up to notify me when I get a reply.
Good luck!!
Vac boosted brakes, JB7 RPO code. It does have that load sensing valve in the back. Whether or not it still works, who knows? I'll probably remove it when I do the axle swap, as I'll be replumbing the whole axle anyways.

Axle is 74in? across the WMS. Not a C&C axle.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Well she sounds like a keeper. Lol. After several trips to Europe my wife refuses to drive anything American now. On our third Volvo and I'm secretly impressed but try not to show it. With the lease ending in April she's been looking and I'm afraid she's moved on to Mercedes at this point. I cringe but I'm secretly excited so I think I can relate to your situation. If mama ain't happy nobody is happy. I just bought a new KLR 650 so I can't really say anything. I get it.
We have a new Subaru Forester too. It's fancy, nice to drive, but as one of my buddies puts it...... it has no soul. I usually drive it, just as my commuter, but have been thinking about selling it and picking up another Square (pickup or K5 maybe). In the warmer months, I'll take my CJ5 to work. Feel like I'm gonna die driving it above 45mph..... but it sure is fun. lol

New stuff IS nice, as long as you don't have to work on it. I really dig the adaptive cruise control, and the portable Sun that is new headlights..... but other than that, meh. Not worth it. She says she feels like she should have a wife, when driving the Subaru. :hahano: All smiles in her Suburban though.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Vac boosted brakes, JB7 RPO code. It does have that load sensing valve in the back. Whether or not it still works, who knows? I'll probably remove it when I do the axle swap, as I'll be replumbing the whole axle anyways.

Axle is 74in? across the WMS. Not a C&C axle.
With dual rear wheels you’ll be able to use all the back brakes no problem. Plenty of tire and weight lpsv will be a hindrance.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
YUP! lol

So basically almost every guy on here wants to be you at this point lol.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
So basically almost every guy on here wants to be you at this point lol.
:laughing1: She has her moments.

Here's her other toy..... and another project I have to find time for, somehow, eventually. Inherited from her dad.

If money wasn't a thing, I could quit my job and have enough projects to keep me busy full time........ for years. lol

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 30

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
:laughing1: She has her moments.

Here's her other toy..... and another project I have to find time for, somehow, eventually. Inherited from her dad.

If money wasn't a thing, I could quit my job and have enough projects to keep me busy full time........ for years. lol
And your in-laws don’t (or didn’t, RIP) suck? Now we know you won the wife lottery!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Yeah that was my first reaction. Loader dude was FOS. That’s maybe 3 tons max in that pic not 5-6tons.
I did this once getting 3/4" crushed. Massive loader bucket was around 12' wide- took a big scoop out of the pile and dumped it right in my truck. They weigh you empty and then full... 5,500 lbs of gravel in my K20. Wasn't bottomed out, but anything above 45 mph was very scary. I stayed at 40 mph on the way home. Mudflaps were dragging- and normally they were 4" or so up in the air.

full

full

Sorry for the off topic- just saw that pic and it brought back memories from 2007...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod