Learn something new everyday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
I wish I had some of you guys next door to me, for now this will do.

I'm doing my best learning and try to figure some stuff out for myself.

I do have a question though. As some of you know, I got a Holley 600cfm not long ago and have been working on getting my truck back in the position to be driven daily. Tonight I was driving, and it did what i would call a "misfire" (I guess). It kind of "missed" and then kept on fine at first maybe I thought it was something in the drive train. It has been sitting more than usual, but then i remembered it was a SM465, not some piece of junk, lol. I was going up a slight incline in 2nd gear, so 3rd counting the granny gear.

It did it maybe 3 times in about 45 minutes of test driving around town in various speeds, mostly in 2nd gear though.

Does this sound like maybe a timing issue? The motor only has maybe 30k on it, and the plugs maybe have 20k on them. Should I pull a plug and see if they're fouled?

Oh, and also, I had only had to adjust the idle screw a slight bit. Any tips?

TIA.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
Oh, and I replaced the fuel line and filter when I replaced my carb. I was worried about bad gas so I ran a can of seafoam and ran out the old gas and have had fresh 93 in the tank.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I put Seafoam in mine and it ran normal for a little while, then it started doing what yours is. Eventually it started getting worse until it began dying at stops. I pulled the fuel filter out and found the little check valve had basically softened to the point that it was plugging the filter inlet and had slid inside the spring. I installed a new filter and it's been running great. Not saying that's your problem, just that mine was similar to what you describe.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Probably something with ignition system. Check all plug wires, coil cap rotor and wires that hook to coil...also distributor connections

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
I put Seafoam in mine and it ran normal for a little while, then it started doing what yours is. Eventually it started getting worse until it began dying at stops. I pulled the fuel filter out and found the little check valve had basically softened to the point that it was plugging the filter inlet and had slid inside the spring. I installed a new filter and it's been running great. Not saying that's your problem, just that mine was similar to what you describe.

I replaced the filter a day before this occurred, but i am not ruling out the fact that the tank maybe could have had some bad fuel in it still. Highly doubt it, but anything is possible I guess.

thanks for the input.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
Probably something with ignition system. Check all plug wires, coil cap rotor and wires that hook to coil...also distributor connections

I plan on doing this tomorrow. I have a 80 mile trip on sunday and need to make sure it's right haha.

:Insane::Insane:

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
See if you can find an ethanol free pump in your area to start filling up at

Latest posts