Leaking injector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stevenm

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yesterday while driving home a noticed a bit of smoke coming out from under the hood and smell of diesel. When I got home I left the truck running and when looking around I noticed the injector was leaking diesel fuel. I have the 6.2 diesel and it runs great about 51k on the motor. I am not too familiar with diesel motors but looking around I found the injector is about $50 and the socket to remove the injector is another $50. Should I replace the injector or could it be something else leaking that is not the injector. None of the other injectors show any issues and the truck runs great. I did try and tighten the fuel nut where the metal fuel connects and it was tight didn't even move. I am assuming after 31 years on the road having one leaking injector is really not that bad but not sure if I should just buy eight of them and try to replace them all or just do the one.

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yesterday while driving home a noticed a bit of smoke coming out from under the hood and smell of diesel. When I got home I left the truck running and when looking around I noticed the injector was leaking diesel fuel. I have the 6.2 diesel and it runs great about 51k on the motor. I am not too familiar with diesel motors but looking around I found the injector is about $50 and the socket to remove the injector is another $50. Should I replace the injector or could it be something else leaking that is not the injector. None of the other injectors show any issues and the truck runs great. I did try and tighten the fuel nut where the metal fuel connects and it was tight didn't even move. I am assuming after 31 years on the road having one leaking injector is really not that bad but not sure if I should just buy eight of them and try to replace them all or just do the one.

How's the truck running? If it's running okay and no missing or bogging, you should be getting fuel to all cylinders even if that one is leaking. I would replace the injector o ring for that one injector and see what happens. I know they sell them in sets of eight, but I don't know if you can buy just one. Maybe from Napa or something. Or you could do the o rings on all of them. I wouldn't cave and buy a whole new injector just yet.

wauto

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Check the rubber fuel return hoses. Easy fix

Stevenm

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The truck is running great no misses or bogging whatsoever even with the leaking injector. I will try the o ring and rubber fuel return hoses and see how that goes. Thanks for the info.

Stevenm

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Rubber fuel return hose was culprit.

Check the rubber fuel return hoses. Easy fix

Thanks wauto, it ended up being a the rubber fuel return hoses, which it seems auto part stores don't carry. I ended up getting some small rubber hose from carquest but I will need to buy the correct fuel hose online. One project I see needing is to replace them all.

wauto

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
Glad to help. Gotta love the easy fixes.