Leak in steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

InVision

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well got a big puddle of power steering oil on floor this morning. I cleaned it up and it looks like it is leaking from the seal in the gear box at the steering column. No signs of leak from top. It appears to dip on front leaf spring and puddle was under the front bumper. Is it possible to put a new seal in? While on truck? Any clue of what that seal is called? Anyone done this? Reasonable good at mechanical things...

Thanks, Hopefully I will get to drive the new truck this year :)

M

PS - Going to get a vanity play "Leaky"

Attachments

• IMG_7008.JPG
    IMG_7008.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 132
  • power-steering.jpg
    power-steering.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

RThiel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robb
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
Interested. I'm told that rebuilding a steering gear is a black art that was only passed down in a few secret societies, and that it's on the verge of extinction.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Well if so than I will just buy one from ORreilly's...

M

If you look up "Saginaw Steering Box Rebuild," you'll find plenty of articles and how-to's with pictures. They sell the kits in stores, but it'd probably be cheaper online. If you do end up replacing, do not buy one from the regular auto parts stores like Autozone or O'Reilly's. NAPA has a good Saginaw box, or you can look on RockAuto, and they have a AC Delcos.

InVision

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Good to know. Thanks very much.

Always like to fix if it does not exceed my mechanic talent.

Best friend owns a GMC dealership so I would start there if I was replacing.

Really surprised no one chimed in that had replaced the seal on their truck. Kind of scary since I see a lot of folks having issues with leaks at steering input shaft.

M

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size

Really surprised no one chimed in that had replaced the seal on their truck. Kind of scary since I see a lot of folks having issues with leaks at steering input shaft.

M

Well, see what you think. There are both magazine articles and forum write ups that I've found. There are people who do it, but I haven't found many. There are components that require machining sometimes and there are a lot of ball bearings in it, too. That itself is enough to discourage me from doing it. Also, if there's noticeable slop between the input and output of the gearbox, I wouldn't even bother rebuilding it or adjusting it. My brother had his on a truck that has about 148K miles completely worn out when he got it, and it was maximally adjusted, too. He took it off, used it as a core at NAPA, got a reman, and the new one works like a charm.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

M

Let us know how it goes! I have a good friend who owns a local shop who strongly suggested that I avoid trying to seal up Saginaw boxes on my own. He regularly re-seals some Ford boxes but not the saginaw. Of course anything is possible with some effort. The bummer would be installing in truck to test under load, only to find an unsolved issue. For me I much prefer to go with a quality rebuilt unit.

InVision

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Let us know how it goes! I have a good friend who owns a local shop who strongly suggested that I avoid trying to seal up Saginaw boxes on my own. He regularly re-seals some Ford boxes but not the saginaw. Of course anything is possible with some effort. The bummer would be installing in truck to test under load, only to find an unsolved issue. For me I much prefer to go with a quality rebuilt unit.

You guys are probably correct. After I watch rebuild videos, I am thinking that the only seal I would attempt would be the steering input seal because the plug adjuster screws all the way out and the seal can be changed on the bench. I have not seen anything else that points to a gear box change ( pitman leaks or excessive play). Our K10 has 81K miles on it.

M

InVision

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I could not keep the shaft stub in while unscrewing the adjustment plug. I purchased a NAPA steering gear box and installed. All is working now. One lesson I learned is to replace the hoses. Got all together just to find the pressure hose had a small leak in it... Gees :whymewhyme:

M

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taco main chew