K10 w/ 327 needs new trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
If you have the trans with the Hurst shifter, it should be worth rebuilding, and definatly will be worth something as a core. I have never seen one, living in the home of the EPA, ca, I wouldn't imagine they were legal here(that would allow you to get the rpm of the engine up over what they like).

Well, since the overdrive trans they were used on would lower the rpm, I would think there's more than a few on the left coast. They seemed to show up behind the 4.3 v6, 5.0 v8 and 6.2 diesel more than the regular 350. For some reason, it just wasn't a popular option. There's a couple of threads in the transmission and driveline sub forum that go into greater detail. It was commonly known as an A833.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I say super T10 or Muncie with a divorced case......best of both worlds right there..... I'm still kicking myself for not building up one of my Powerglides and divorcing my 208......

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Im still kinda new too transfer cases, can someone explain to me what a divorce mount t case is? Also i have a 1990 k1500 that had a 4.3L with a 700r4 what t case would it likely have? (I know its not a square body) but im curious as im tryin to sell it.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Im still kinda new too transfer cases, can someone explain to me what a divorce mount t case is? Also i have a 1990 k1500 that had a 4.3L with a 700r4 what t case would it likely have? (I know its not a square body) but im curious as im tryin to sell it.
Divorced case is not attached to the transmission and married is.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Oh ok, i thought so but it didnt make sense to me how it could work if it wasnt attatched lol

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Oh ok, i thought so but it didnt make sense to me how it could work if it wasnt attatched lol

Just runs a short drive shaft from a 2wd trans to a fixed yoke on the input of the t-case. Your '90 should be either a NP231 or NP241. I don't recall which they were using under them at that time. There should be a round tag on the back of the t-case with the model number stamped into it.

ChazNV

Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I was under the truck today looking at the transmission and differentials when I noticed my truck does not have a bellhousing cover on it. I would like to get one on it asap. I don't know much about mechanics though. The engine is a 327, and the trans is the stock 4 speed manual granny gear trans. What kind of bellhousing would I need? Will it be hard to install?

Last edited:

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I was under the truck today looking at the transmission and differentials when I noticed my truck does not have a bellhousing cover on it. I would like to get one on it asap. I don't know much about mechanics though. The engine is a 327, and the trans is the stock 4 speed manual granny gear trans. What kind of bellhousing would I need? Will it be hard to install?

You mean the inspection cover underneath? So you look up and see the clutch right there? The model is SM465, I can't link Ebay from work, but there's a metal one listed there, or Dorman makes a plastic one.

ChazNV

Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You mean the inspection cover underneath? So you look up and see the clutch right there? The model is SM465, I can't link Ebay from work, but there's a metal one listed there, or Dorman makes a plastic one.

I think so. I can see the flywheel, I think thats what it is at least. It's the first part of the transmission inside, a big gear wheel type thing.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Yeah, you need the inspection cover.

Latest posts