K10 w/ 327 needs new trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChazNV

Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I bought this 1980 K10, it's got a 4 inch lift and 35inch tires. The engine is a 327 out of a 66 corvette, it's got a hi-rev cam, high comp pistons, roller rocker valve train, edelbrock intake manifold, edelbrock 600 cfm carb, and a couple other things. It's still using the stock 4 speed manual that the truck came with. The problem is, the transmission and transfer case are leaking oil and it seems to be pretty hard to shift. I could either get this trans rebuilt, or get a better one that would work better for my engine. I don't really know much about transmissions though and I don't have any idea where to even start. I'd like to keep the truck as a manual but I'm open to an automatic if it'd make it that much better.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
What are your intentions for the truck? Cruiser, off roading, both I'd dump that carb but that's me. Welcome to the site. I prefer an automatic but I also like th400s over others some will debate the issue.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site.

I vote TH400..

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
We'd really need more info to give a recommendation. What are your abilities, and budget, what are you doing with this truck?

The cheapest, easiest thing is almost always going to be to keep whatever it has currently FYI.

ChazNV

Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I plan on taking it offroad every once in awhile but nothing extreme, so mostly highway miles. It looks like the previous owner was trying to make it a relatively fast truck so I think I'd like to follow that idea just to see what this engine can do. I'd rather stay under or around $2k for the trans but if I have to, I can spend more.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I plan on taking it offroad every once in awhile but nothing extreme, so mostly highway miles. It looks like the previous owner was trying to make it a relatively fast truck so I think I'd like to follow that idea just to see what this engine can do. I'd rather stay under or around $2k for the trans but if I have to, I can spend more.
I'd go th400 for strength. Don't really have to beef it up they are strong from the get go. A th350 will have a better low gear but not as strong as a 400 but strong enough. The 700r4 is an OD grand but kinda weakish. I'd still swap out that carb but I'm definitely not fan of Eddy carbs.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I would just rebuild what it has lol, a lift, oversized tires, etc, generally don't translate to "fast". But fast is pretty subjective, what feels like a rocket to me, me be boring to the next guy.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I would just rebuild what it has lol, a lift, oversized tires, etc, generally don't translate to "fast". But fast is pretty subjective, what feels like a rocket to me, me be boring to the next guy.
Fast is relative to what your doing with it too...lol

ChazNV

Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Well yeah, I don't expect it to be a rocket, its an old lifted truck. I just want it to be relatively fast for what it is in it's category. I'm not really racing the thing lol

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
In that case, the transmission isn't going to make a difference really. An auto would be faster at the track, and more consistent, but if you just want it to sound cool and squeal the tires, the trans you have is fine.

ChazNV

Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
In that case, the transmission isn't going to make a difference really. An auto would be faster at the track, and more consistent, but if you just want it to sound cool and squeal the tires, the trans you have is fine.

Awesome, I'll see about getting it rebuilt then and compare the rebuild price with a new one. Thanks!

Oldrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Sounds like a nice truck so far. Do you know what the transmission is? A four speed is always fun. If it is an SM465 then it is a great transmission but, it is a slow shifting gearbox compared to most other four speeds.
If you like manuals, keep what you have. If you don't like shifting, go with an automatic.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
I don't think that a truck type 4 speed will be the same length as a car 4 sp. It you put in a car type 4 speed(or 3 speed) you should run an aftermarket shifter and you might have to fashion something to extend the handle, unless you have long arms.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I don't think that a truck type 4 speed will be the same length as a car 4 sp. It you put in a car type 4 speed(or 3 speed) you should run an aftermarket shifter and you might have to fashion something to extend the handle, unless you have long arms.

There were 2 different 4 speed manuals offered over the years. One had the creeper gear and was very truck like in its shift characteristics, the other was an overdrive 4th gear, that came from the factory with a hurst shifter. Those were just what was offered in the squares, without going into all the newer 5 speed options that came in later trucks.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you have the trans with the Hurst shifter, it should be worth rebuilding, and definatly will be worth something as a core. I have never seen one, living in the home of the EPA, ca, I wouldn't imagine they were legal here(that would allow you to get the rpm of the engine up over what they like).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL