Junkyard finds - post yours?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I called the local junk yard last week for the window seals for the doors on my S10. I was looking for those and a bunch of interior trim pieces. The guy I spoke to said, "I'm not going to send my guys out there looking for those things. Even if we did have them, I wouldn't sell them." He also throws a fit if you give him a model year range for the part you're looking for.

I called three different yards and got the exact same reaction. Apparently, there's not enough profit in those tiny little parts to justify sending one of their guys into the yard to gather. Never mind that I am usually there asking for parts that aren't even available from the dealer.

The only local pick and pull yard rarely has the parts I want.

There are a few yards around here that pull the same stuff. Thankfully there are also some good salvage yards that make up for it. If you are anywhere near Granby, CT it might be worth your while to check out Town Line Auto Salvage in Granville MA. If they have a truck in stock that you are looking for they will usually let you walk the lot to go scope it out. They usually let you grab the low price stuff too as long as you get something worthwhile with it.

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
In this area, most yards keep only later model parts. Scrap metal prices are up (around here) so they crush anything that doesnt move parts. I went to a large wreckers nearby who had Zero pre 90 trucks except that dandy of a dually which was set aside from the others.

Last year, I located a few nice (restorable) fully loaded burbs...one gave up its tilt column and fat wheel for my project. The pickups have all but vanished it seems.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Here in Reno Nv they have an entire row of square body chevy's in the pic-n-pull. I find more on craigslist every day in awesome shape!

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
same here 87, most yards near me is all 90's and up mostly 2000's and that's it. I can use parts off of 88-98's on my 88 truck and I can't hardly find anything. One has several I know of at least 3-4 but they are junked as far as body parts and most of the insides are gutted.

Might as well forget 87 and older.

However there's a guy in ky about 45 minutes from me, dude has TONS of old stuff, within 100 feet I saw 5-6 sqaurebodies, tons or rear ends and driveshafts, motors, transmissions, a bandit edition trans am, some vans, a 67-72 truck and front clip from another. he has tons of the old stuff and sells anything off them.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Truthfully, I wouldn't even bother looking for Square Body parts at the junk yard. Square Bodies are so rare to see on the street, I don't expect to find anything at the junkyard. Most of the stuff around here is mostly 90s and up as well.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Truthfully, I wouldn't even bother looking for Square Body parts at the junk yard. Square Bodies are so rare to see on the street, I don't expect to find anything at the junkyard. Most of the stuff around here is mostly 90s and up as well.

That, too, is almost exact opposite from where I'm at. At the pick-n-pull that is about 20 minutes from my house there are several square body trucks in the junk yard. Anything from trucks to burbs to blazers (not as often). Most of the time by the time they get there they are pretty well picked over but you can find a gem every now and then. I got a few miscellaneous interior pieces and other odds and ends when I was rebuilding my 77.

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
^^^ Yeah the yards here are packed with em too. Same thing tho, all are already raped of anything usable.

GothRod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a bunch of dissapointments with the "modern" wrecking yards around here(the final straw was the guy at the counter wanting $30 for a plastic S-10 emblem...) I pretty much ask buddies or hit up Craigslist for my used parts. There is only one yard I frequent but I have to go when a certain guy is working, the price spread between the employees is about 50%. Around here if you want a whole car you gotta be "in" with the owner and make it worth his while(his while is damn expensive too) and I havn't found anything worth what it takes in years.

-John

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
the scarcity of them around here makes me wonder if I should be buying up low end trucks and parting them out myself...

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
the scarcity of them around here makes me wonder if I should be buying up low end trucks and parting them out myself...

I recommend that completely.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
I frequent a place in Cavetown MD (about an hours drive) called Grimms Auto Salvage. They are the greatest! They let you wnder the fields at will and pretty much do everything on the honor system. They have an entire three acre field dedicated to square-bodies, Blazers, Suburbans, duallies, and standard p/u. My last trip I scored two window switches, a door lock switch, pedal pads, my bed tool box, a fan shroud lower, and a rear cab inner liner! All for 125 bucks OTD, he told me the switches were free, because he figured they wouldn't work (they did though!) Every time I go there is like Christmas. I made my wife take me there for my birthday this year (I'm sort of wierd I know)

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
LOL kinda weird? sound like me, what do you want for your birthday or christmas?

go to the junkyard and look around and maybe find something to buy!!!!!! That's me. I always ask for truck parts for birthday and christmas.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
The best part is my wife started out giving me strange looks about going to the boneyard just to poke around. Now i can't go without her! She LOVES the friggin place, shes worse than me, running from truck to truck, yelling about what kind of goodies are inside each one. Speaking of which i need to get out there before cold weather and score the wiring for the electric kickdown on my TH400....

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The best part is my wife started out giving me strange looks about going to the boneyard just to poke around. Now i can't go without her! She LOVES the friggin place, shes worse than me, running from truck to truck, yelling about what kind of goodies are inside each one. Speaking of which i need to get out there before cold weather and score the wiring for the electric kickdown on my TH400....

Its so funny you mention that, my wife did the same thing and it surprised the hell out of me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64