Junkyard finds - post yours?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I found this treasure last week - Too bad the wrecking yard "can't sell a complete vehicle once it enters the yard"

Pre '80 Camper Special with 454...100% complete and restorable

sorry for the pic quality - took it with my phone camera

dang!

Attachments

• Image0057.jpg
    Image0057.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Image0058 - cropped.jpg
    Image0058 - cropped.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 203

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Too bad you couldn't score that truck, it looks like a beast!

My best junkyard find was in Reno about 6 years ago. I was moving to Montana in a week or so, so I thought I'd hit Pick-n-Pull one last time before I left. I was wandering around and saw a 77 Trans Am with 5, 15" Pontiac Rally II rims in perfect condition. My 72 Pontiac Ventura II had the original stock 14" steelies that I hated, so I asked about them at the front counter and the lady told me she'd charge me a whole whopping $25 for all 5.

After I picked my jaw off the ground, my buddy and I ran back to the car and scooped them up. I looked inside the car for treasure and I found the PMD center caps too. It's amazing how much better it made my car look. It went from blah to badass in one afternoon. Pics coming this afternoon.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
buy it piece at a time. Go buy the engine first, then the body or body parts, like front clip, cab, bed, and then go back and buy the frame. if they catch on give a good friend or relative the cash to buy it for you.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
buy it piece at a time. Go buy the engine first, then the body or body parts, like front clip, cab, bed, and then go back and buy the frame. if they catch on give a good friend or relative the cash to buy it for you.

I like his idea! :)

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Thankfully, my local junk yards are not very friendly. Not only do they not let me wander the yard, they don't let me buy the parts I want, either. The upside is I don't bring home tons of cars. The down side is all the parts I need, I have to buy new or repro.

The last time I was at my junk yard, they had a near complete GMC Caballero.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
wtf why would they not let you buy the parts you want? Do they not want to make money?

How stupid lol.

Sounds to me like they want to hoard em back for themselves.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
That is really strange. I've never heard of a junk not willing to sell you their stuff!

And that's strange about the junkyard with that blue dually not able to sell the whole vehicle. Is that a state law? The pick-n-pull near me sells complete vehicles quite often.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I called the local junk yard last week for the window seals for the doors on my S10. I was looking for those and a bunch of interior trim pieces. The guy I spoke to said, "I'm not going to send my guys out there looking for those things. Even if we did have them, I wouldn't sell them." He also throws a fit if you give him a model year range for the part you're looking for.

I called three different yards and got the exact same reaction. Apparently, there's not enough profit in those tiny little parts to justify sending one of their guys into the yard to gather. Never mind that I am usually there asking for parts that aren't even available from the dealer.

The only local pick and pull yard rarely has the parts I want.

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
And that's strange about the junkyard with that blue dually not able to sell the whole vehicle. Is that a state law? The pick-n-pull near me sells complete vehicles quite often.

In ontario, I believe there is a salvage law. Once a vehicle is written off, it cannot be rebuilt and its ownership has a "salvage" claim on it. I'm not sure if the same goes for vehicles being processed by wrecking yards. They may have wanted to keep it for themselves, or profit from the sum of all the parts combined

For the same coin, I'm sure I could buy one complete and roadworthy

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
I called the local junk yard last week for the window seals for the doors on my S10. I was looking for those and a bunch of interior trim pieces. The guy I spoke to said, "I'm not going to send my guys out there looking for those things. Even if we did have them, I wouldn't sell them." He also throws a fit if you give him a model year range for the part you're looking for.

I called three different yards and got the exact same reaction. Apparently, there's not enough profit in those tiny little parts to justify sending one of their guys into the yard to gather. Never mind that I am usually there asking for parts that aren't even available from the dealer.

The only local pick and pull yard rarely has the parts I want.

I miss the old days where they would let their customers go out and pull what they wanted around here :(

I was looking for a headlight bucket for one of my lo beams last week
Went to a yard and he told me it would be cheaper to go to a dealer and get it rather than having his guys go out and pull one off.

Went to the dealer it was $40 wtf

Went to another yard dude was gone for maybe a minute and brings me back a whole headlight assembly for $5

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
The places around here let you go out and get the stuff yourself but you have to be a certain age.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I miss the old days where they would let their customers go out and pull what they wanted around here :(

Hell, I miss the days of customer service.

I won't fault the dealer for selling the part for $40, but, why wouldn't the first junker be willing to sell or give you the part? Even if he gets paid by the ton for his scrap metal, it's not like one headlight bucket is going to break the bank.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I wonder if they started employing their own parts pullers because of people throwing parts over the fence.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Not at the yard near me. The surrounding property is pretty rough. It's also a huge lot with lots of cameras.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'd go talk to the dick at the yard about not selling parts, ask him if my money wasn't good enough or wtf? if not then I'd tell him if he won't sell it fine, go out and grab it for free. What a dick.

as for finding one road worthy good luck around here you can't even find a big block if you do it's like 3 grand or so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06