Is this cab worth trying to save?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Is this cab able to be saved? I'd like to keep as much of the truck as possible as it was my dads first and only new vehicle even if that means some extra work but if it is going to be unsafe and or nearly impossible to bring it back to decent shape, then I'm willing to swap or get new parts.

Fyi, I will be starting a build thread soon to keep everything up to date for me and the build.

So what do you think?

You must be registered for see images
[/URL][/IMG]

You must be registered for see images attach

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I would say no. But others may yes. To save it will be a LOT of time and money.

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
it all depends on the amount of time, fabrication, and money you want to spend fixing the cab. If i had a cab with that much rot i would look for another cab but that is my opinion others may say yes

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I think sentimental value is more important than money. It will take quite a bit of time it's not insanely expensive you can buy floor pans, rocker panels, and cab corners. The door pillars you could find a donor to cut the spots that need to be replaced then weld it in place.

I'm gonna frame off restore my grandpas 79k10, to me all of the memories as a little kid driving to the farm and all the work we did in that old chevy is way more Important than money, but that's just me.

Boonie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I agree with reaper about the sentimentality. Im torn rebuilding my grandpas 74, repair the bed or replace with another one. easier to replace, but the memories of feeding cattle with him, of my brother falling over the side and hanging by a foot.......those are all in that truck. leaning towards the extra work and restoring the bed, rewelding the broke welds, and just replacing only the places that are rusted out. just my opinion

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
If it was mine I'd save it :shrug:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you have the ability to take on minor fabrication, by all means, fix it. A different cab basically means it's a different truck.

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
How hard is it to remove a cab? I know there's the mounts that hold it to the frame but what about the wire harness? What we're thinking about doing is getting another cab and putting it on while the other one is of and getting repaired gradually and at our own pace. If we did it this way can you weld the patch panels on it with it not on the truck or would it not fit correctly when reinstalled on the original frame? We're just gathering info and ideas right now

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
I still have my first truck it is a 63 chevy that started life as a c10 long bed it is now a k10 short bed. I bring this truck up because the cab is the only part of my original truck that I have left. and it is rusted in many areas. and any sain person would not try to save it.

but I have a certain set of skills that I have acquired over many years and many truck builds that give me the experience and know how to save it.
I have to change the complete roof and most of the floor to save my cab.

it has sentimental value to me as my first truck I got it when I was 15 from my brother who got it from my best friend. I have owned it for 23 years.

but as for your truck unless you have experience and know how I would not try to save that cab.
if you do not get everything lined up right you will end up with a pile of crap

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I wouldn't repair everything with the cab off the frame unless you support it in every way it can move by tacking on support pieces to hold it square, and yeah if you replace the cab its not the same pickup anymore new vin, new cab, new title.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
As I type this I can guarantee somewhere in Arizona there is a cherry rust free cab going over a scale at some scrap yard.

Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
If you can weld save it ! The metal is cheap new floor pans and corners are nothing. Good those problem are normal in these trucks. I put new floor pans and rockers in mine cost me about 100 bucks

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Well we're thinking were gonna give it a shot as far as trying to save it. Too many memories for us to not at least attempt it. Worst case, it comes out destroyed and we're out some money but we'll have made a few last memories in it trying to save it. :)

And FYI, we actually just traded another vehicle for a donor truck that we can harvest pieces of the roof if we need to. Unfortunately, the floor/rockers/etc. isn't the greatest so that's out of the question although we will need to steal the tunnel as my dad's does have some rust where it bolts down to the passenger side floor.

I know there are plenty of places out there that sell patch panels but what are some suggestions for the better quality brands?

adaml23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Here's a picture of the parts truck... and yes, I'm well aware that it's in better shape than my dad's truck. Luckily we just traded it for a dead ford ranger that was destined for the scrapyard itself.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Lmc has good stuff a little bit pricey but the patch panels they make aren't THAT expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76