is the factory brake proportioning valve tunable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
this is a kind of obscure boring technical question. I'll attach all the angles of the proportioning valve. it is the one mounted to the back of the front crossmember below the front of the engine. it has two incoming lines on the top from the brake master cylinder and a sender here:
You must be registered for see images attach

from what I understand, it allows pressure to build in the rear drums before applying pressure to the front, but I may be wrong. it has a line out to each front caliper and a single line to the rear brakes.

fronts

rear

on the rear there is a piece threaded into the large hole, then the brake line threads into that. is there anyway to tune this valve to work optimally for rear disc conversions? either through the piece that threads into the large 3/4" port that eventually leads to the rear or is there something adjustable here:

that "nut" was covered by a rubber dust cap. I'm not sure if maybe the valving sits behind that or if it's even modifiable?

thanks!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
http://www.classicperform.com/Instructions/PDF/Prop_Valve_Mod_Instructions.pdf

I have spent months researching 14 bolt FF rear brake conversions. And I'm still annoyed with the whole thing.

Found dozens of people who just "slapped" discs on the rear and everything worked great.

In theory it seems you should either modify the stock combo valve or go buy one that is setup for disc/disc. Then in theory since the rear disc brake cylinders displace more fluid then your stock master cylinder doesn't have a big enough reservoir for the rear brakes. Some say then the proper thing to do is get one where the reservoir is split 50/50 in volume for front to rear. Then some still add an adjustable proportional valve to the rear brakes.

I'm still fiddling around with mine as I don't like much about it.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
mine work fine, but I want to make it right. which calipers did you try?

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I matched the calipers... so my rear are identical to the front ones.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Depending on what brackets you bought for the rear calipers you might need to keep an eye on the inner pad wear. My brackets like to jam up the caliper causing it not to free float. So all the braking is done only with the inner pad. It typically lasts only 7,000 miles.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Depending on what brackets you bought for the rear calipers you might need to keep an eye on the inner pad wear. My brackets like to jam up the caliper causing it not to free float. So all the braking is done only with the inner pad. It typically lasts only 7,000 miles.
thanks, I'll look at that. I was looking at this at summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-760185/applications/year/1986/make/chevrolet/model/k30/

I want to buy a new master cylinder any way just because of this ones age. did you find what they say will work?

maybe mine works well because its hydro boost and not vacuum boost. the hydro boost works really good and the master cylinder is different for hydro setups. again, I also have the secondary proportioning valve in the rear, but I'm not sure if any of the factors are actually substantial.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
The brake proportioning valve from summit should work- but you might just try modifying your stock one first. It would save you $50 + shipping.

I wish I had hydroboost brakes. I've thought about switching to them but have other things to work out first.

I went with some old corvette with front/rear disc brakes. That was supposed to be the popular one. The brake pedal travels farther than I like as it has a smaller diameter piston in it.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The brake proportioning valve from summit should work- but you might just try modifying your stock one first. It would save you $50 + shipping.

I wish I had hydroboost brakes. I've thought about switching to them but have other things to work out first.

I went with some old corvette with front/rear disc brakes. That was supposed to be the popular one. The brake pedal travels farther than I like as it has a smaller diameter piston in it.
Which year vette calipers? Did you swap master cylinders too?

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I used the Summit PV with my rear disc brake conversion. I took me a while to get everything bled but they work great now.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I used the Summit PV with my rear disc brake conversion. I took me a while to get everything bled but they work great now.
The one in the link above, correct?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Check if there is a spring for the rear circuit inside the prop valve. If design is similar to the one in my firebird, I have increased the amount of rear pressure by changing to a stiffer spring

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Check if there is a spring for the rear circuit inside the prop valve. If design is similar to the one in my firebird, I have increased the amount of rear pressure by changing to a stiffer spring
where did you source the spring?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pugs Speed Shop