Ignition switch caught fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camatruder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350ci / 5.7l
This '91 K5 is my DD, i use it to visit clients. So last tuesday first client was a 40 mile drive, mostly highway. I got there without any problems but when i started and backed up the truck 1 hour later a lot of smoke came out of the steering column. Shutting off the engine didn't help but luckely pulling the battery cable did. Turns out the ignition switch is toast.
You must be registered for see images attach

I ordered the switch and connectors today at rockauto and saw on the pic that the blue connector has wires on all possible connections and all wires are white. Mine does not use alle possible connections (1 is spare). I have one purple wire left and two possible connections which i named 1 and 2. Does anybody know where the purple wire should go?

Also when pulling the connector from the 'neutral-start / backup light switch' at the bottom of the column, i changed the setting/place of the movable part of the switch. Does anybody know how to adjust it?
Thanks!

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Welcome to the recent ignition fire family. Sorry that happened to you.

I believe that purple wire is for the blower motor.(I am dumb). Looked at my blower motor before posting this!

Check for any shorts before installing anything new. My short was the starter wire burnt by the header.

Last edited:

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
This '91 K5 is my DD, i use it to visit clients. So last tuesday first client was a 40 mile drive, mostly highway. I got there without any problems but when i started and backed up the truck 1 hour later a lot of smoke came out of the steering column. Shutting off the engine didn't help but luckely pulling the battery cable did. Turns out the ignition switch is toast.
You must be registered for see images attach

I ordered the switch and connectors today at rockauto and saw on the pic that the blue connector has wires on all possible connections and all wires are white. Mine does not use alle possible connections (1 is spare). I have one purple wire left and two possible connections which i named 1 and 2. Does anybody know where the purple wire should go?

Also when pulling the connector from the 'neutral-start / backup light switch' at the bottom of the column, i changed the setting/place of the movable part of the switch. Does anybody know how to adjust it?
Thanks!

the wiring diagram i have shows the purple wire in position 1

back up light switch i believe the early version adjusted with screws and the newer style has plastic teeth you just move it to the needed position

Camatruder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350ci / 5.7l
Thanks. Much appreciated!
I have the one with the plastic teeth. How can you tell which position is right?

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
i m sure there's a gm procedure but im not sure what it is. probably just try trial and error .

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Purple wire will go to the neutral safety switch (or clutch safety switch). It come out of the switch as a purple wire with a yellow tracer, or maybe a solid yellow. Either way, it supplies power to the starter when you turn the key to crank.

Camatruder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350ci / 5.7l
Thanks but i was unsure on wich pin of the blue connector the purple wire needs to be connected. I have 2 possible pins or terminals (not sure how you call this in english) left on the blue connector. Anyway i think C10mixmaster already answered that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derek12345