ignition problem - next step?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turpentyne

Reaction score
First Name
chs
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
please god, somebody tell me there's more things to check out?

I checked timing. at idle it's 8 before TDC, on acceleration it goes up to about 14. I blew through the fuel lines, and still no difference. In face, now the truck is not starting well either. Barely wants to. I have to keep pumping it to get any gas.

Is maybe my brand new fuel pump bad?? And another question, is it at all possible to simply be that it isn't installed well? Maybe it's possible for that pushrod to not be aligned right to the lever?

I need to figure something out. This isn't a hobby. This is primary transportation.

To recap: I have new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, new ignition module, new fuel filters, new fuel pump, and several new fuel hoses. I've blown air through the tank, and got fuel to come out.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You cant align the fuel pump rod at all it may be worn or the cam lobe might be worn but I doubt that's your problem. Next thing I would go to is your carb and bad vacuum lines.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You cant align the fuel pump rod at all it may be worn or the cam lobe might be worn but I doubt that's your problem. Next thing I would go to is your carb and bad vacuum lines.

Actually if you don't do it properly you won't get any fuel but the truck runs so its not that.

But now if the cam was and could very well be worn it may not work well at all.

@turp how many fuel filters do you have installed? You should only be using 1.

turpentyne

Reaction score
First Name
chs
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I replaced the inline filter back by the gas tank, and I replaced the in-carb filter. Last night, I went ahead and removed the one in the carb, just to see if it made a difference ( and because my dad removed his. )

My dad seems to think I should just go back to the original points distributor and see if it solves the problem. He's always of the mind to keep things original and simple and old-school.

I don't know though. I understand the benefits of the HEI.

Do you suppose I might have gotten a wrong ignition module in there? There was no name on the distributor at all, so the shop just gave me the module that'd go in a '75.

Also, maybe I should replace that vacuum advance? I guess it wouldn't hurt. It's easy and cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joseph916