I need help buying my tools for class at school

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I can get 50% off tools from snapon or matco through the school under the student discount. The teacher recommended buying a better quality tool the time you buy.

Here's a list of what I need:

1)Hammer - 16oz ball peen
2)Pliers - channel locks, slip joint, needle nose, and vise grip (vise grip brand and curved jaw not straight).

3)Open end wrenches 1/4 to 1in and equilvant in metric
4)Box end wrenches 1/4 to 1in and equilvant in metric
5)screwdrivers - straight and philips
6)torx drive screwdriver set and socket - t10-t65
7)feeler gauge
8)hack saw
9)allen wrench set
10)ratchet and socket set - must include sockets and extensions and have 1/4in to 1inch in 3/8 drive

11)torque wrench - ft pounds in digital read or digi lock, no micro lock wrenches
12)digital volt-ohm meter that -10/-20 pegs
13)basic brake tool set
14)punch and chisel set
15)toolbox to grow into.

Thinking on going with the big US General toolbox from harbor freight.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Personally, I'd go with Snap On. Matco is basically Craftsman at three times the price so you'd still be paying more for Craftsman tools. Looks like you have the basics covered. I'd get some different sized hammers though as you will need them.

Also get several different ratchets, short, long, flexhead, ect. One thing I do when I am working on something with several different size fasteners is put the appropriate size sockets on different ratchets, saves a LOT of time rather than picking through sockets and switching them on the same rat when coming to a different fastener.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
if you buy any ratchting wrenches get the matco ones, they beat all the others hands down, and i do have them in mac and snap on also but the matco is the best

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Personally, I'd go with Snap On. Matco is basically Craftsman at three times the price so you'd still be paying more for Craftsman tools. Looks like you have the basics covered. I'd get some different sized hammers though as you will need them.

Also get several different ratchets, short, long, flexhead, ect. One thing I do when I am working on something with several different size fasteners is put the appropriate size sockets on different ratchets, saves a LOT of time rather than picking through sockets and switching them on the same rat when coming to a different fastener.

Will that US General box from harbor freight last with everyday use with the weight of snapon tools in it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-drawer-red-industrial-quality-roller-cabinet-90320.html

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Absolutely Dave. One of the guys here at the new shop I am working at has one and he's totally satisfied with it.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
I still have some snapon tools I bought in school and some broken Matco tools still in the top of my box because the Matco dealers disappeared around here.If you think you are going to turn wrenches for the rest of your life buy Snap on. If you are unsure buy Craftsmen. Some stuff you can save a lot of money on buying craftsman. wrenches,sockets,retches,screwdrivers I would buy Snap on. 50% off is a great price. I hate to see young kids getting reeled in to buying thousands of dollars and in debit in tools then end up doing something else with there life.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Absolutely Dave. One of the guys here at the new shop I am working at has one and he's totally satisfied with it.

Ok Thanks

I still have some snapon tools I bought in school and some broken Matco tools still in the top of my box because the Matco dealers disappeared around here.If you think you are going to turn wrenches for the rest of your life buy Snap on. If you are unsure buy Craftsmen. Some stuff you can save a lot of money on buying craftsman. wrenches,sockets,retches,screwdrivers I would buy Snap on. 50% off is a great price. I hate to see young kids getting reeled in to buying thousands of dollars and in debit in tools then end up doing something else with there life.

I love turning wrenches. I been doing small engine repair on my own for the past 15 years and decided its time to get training for something bigger to along with it.

johnmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 10
Engine Size
305 tuneport injected
that box looks nice for that price.roller bearing too. Matco ratchting wrenches are nice too.another cheeper set is black hawk. i have had a set for 4 years i use then hard with no problems.I bought a snap on box back in the day 20 years ago for 2,500 . it was nice but i could have got a lot more tools for the money .

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
if you buy any ratchting wrenches get the matco ones, they beat all the others hands down, and i do have them in mac and snap on also but the matco is the best

Which Matcos do you have? Some are made by Kabo and some are made by Gearwrench.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Dave honestly I wouldnt Buy ANYTHING with your "student discount". Ive been turning wrenchs a long time and honestly Craftman are just as good as snap on or mac, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF RATCHETS. Craftman ratchets suck balls. With that said The snap on tools can easilly be bought USED off of ebay.

1. Wrenches I own Matco wrenches and honestly there not to bad but I would Reccomend S&K or snap on either one of them are more comfortable to use in your hand, I would Not just get 1 set of them either. Start with a long pattern wrench set and buy you a stubby set down the road. Dont forget about ratchet wrenches, I prefer the Gear Wrench Reversable.

2. Hammers I prefer the dead soft snap-on hammers, I also like my craftman 2# with a 10" handle. I also have ball pein hammers and honestly I hardly EVER use them all they do in my opinion is take up space.

3. Ratchets with out a doubt the more you have the better you will be. Stubby Flex, Flex long handled, flex bent handle. Those would be a good start once you get to turning them you will figure out what other ones you may like to have. I would defintely buy snap on or S&K though, Mac arnt to bad but I dont like the matco or craftman ratchets. Nothing sucks worse then stripping the teeth and taking the skin off the ole knuckles.

4. Screwdrivers I prefer the matco. I use to have a couple sets of snap ons and traded them in for the matcos. But with any srewdriver make sure you use them for the intended purpose, NOT as a punch or a prybar. I tell anyone that uses mine if I see them using them as a prybar there gonna be missing some teeth..

5. Prybars I really like my Matco's because they do have a metal butt end for smacking them with a hammer.

6. chissels and punches I have always liked my snap-on's, A tip for you DONT SHARPEN THEM WITH A BENCH GRINDER, use a diamond hone and they will last for ever.

7. Air tools are IMO a no brainer, INGERSOLRAND. Actually you will probably be better off spendint the money for the air ratches in 1/4" and 3/8". for Impacts it depends on what you are doing, I have a 1/4", 3/8", and a 1/2" and honstly I use the 3/8" 90% of the time. There is NO Need for a 3/4" if you buy the big daddy 1/2". Mine is over 10 years old and I can still change tires on semi's WITH THE PROPER AIR SYSTEM. The 1/4" impact is nice for Transmision rebuilding. I would also reccomend getting a long barrell air hammer, air drill, and atleast a 90 degree die grinder. I have a straight,90 degree, and a 45 degree. I use the 90 the most. (Roloc disc pads).

8. Sockets. I wish I would have it all over to do again, I wouldnt have bought any chrome sockets, I prefer the impacts cause I can use them on a ratchet or on a air gun doesnt matter, honstly I bought a set of impacts for 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2" and they are a CHEAP Brand (grey pneumatic) and I really like them, I have them in shallow, deep and flex sockets for all 3 drive sizes. I would reccomend buying the semi deep, hex sockets, and torx bits all in Snap-on.

9. Specialty tools pullers ect. ect. are either cheap ones from the parts store or I made them on a lathe and mill.

10. Diagnostic tools I prefer the OTC genysis, I had an ole snappy and havent looked back since i got the OTC. FLUKE is by far the best multi meter but I get by just fine with my cheap 20 dollar craftsman, I do like my snap-on test light though, also a VERY WORTH WHILE TOOLS IS a POWER PROBE III pricey but well worth it.

11. Soldering Iron. I would defintly get a butane soldering iron, I like it because I dont have to drag a cord out, plus if your like me I usually dont even bother bringing every vehichle into a bay so it makes it nice to be able to just take it outside with out a cord. Mine is a Power Probe.

But before I bought ANYTHING I would check Ebay for used tools, ESPECIALLY THE SNAP-ON. Hell I picked up a set of semi deep metric 3/8" drive 8-19mm for 15.00 on ebay.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Go get those China made Craftsman tools and see how that works out for you.

Kobalt is all Taiwan made now.

The biggest problem with impacts is they are thick walled and will not fit in many spaces.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
Which Matcos do you have? Some are made by Kabo and some are made by Gearwrench.

not sure wich ones they are ratchet on one end and boxed on the other, they are at least ten years old now, forgot about black hawk ones also got a set of them at the house when the mac tool truck was selling them, we only have a snap on dealer at work now, all the other guys have gone out of business

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Having a hard time finding a socket set that has 3/8 sockets up to a Inch thats not too expensive. Snapon socket sets run 2-3 thousand dollars.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Why are you needing SAE sizes anyway Dave? Nearly (if not all) all newer cars are metric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man