I hate the power window and door lock switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Anyone else have problems with these repeatedly breaking? I got new switches from LMC Truck. They work for awhile after I fix something but I keep having to take them back apart. There's always a new problem.

Anyone else ever replace these switches with something better? Maybe a different switch with better connectors? That can maintain good contact. Thank you

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I'm not that far into things yet, so I'm watching to see how it plays out. Not looking forward to the repop horror stories you see out there.

What is their failure, intermittent contact, crap feel, or something else? Or just like too many other things, chinesium?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I replaced my entire window setup with NuRelics but just used the standard switches that everybody carries. I just had my driver’s side switch fail after 2 years, just replaced it and all is good.

What specifically is your failure/issue? These switches are cheap for a reason. NuRelics does have upgraded metal switches I believe but idk if they’ll work with the OE stuff or not

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mounting something better would be interesting as the odd ergonomics of the factory door panel matches everything else in the cab when it comes to changing or upgrading.

I'd like to find something lighted....if possible.
You must be registered for see images attach

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I'm not that far into things yet, so I'm watching to see how it plays out. Not looking forward to the repop horror stories you see out there.

What is their failure, intermittent contact, crap feel, or something else? Or just like too many other things, chinesium?

I don't think it's the switch itself. It's the connector that sits behind them. That's what I've always had to fix. I've had this truck for 15 years, and I've only had to replace the actual switches once. And who knows how old the previous ones really were. Maybe they were from 1987.

But I think it's just bad design by GM. They didn't make a good electrical connection. It's almost like those spade connectors typically used for speaker wire. But those seem to function a lot better than these do. This is some kind of weird "hook" system where your connector on the end of the wire "hooks" over a rod that plugs into the switch itself. The whole thing is just bad. I'm guessing it was simply cheaper to produce back in the day. I'm going to gut it all one day and put something higher quality in. I just need to find a switch that looks like it belongs in the truck.

The joy of manual windows in a single cab with ac. Plus, more room for speakers. Carry on

Up until I got this silverado I always had manual, now you couldn't pay me to go back. These switches are the only problem outside normal wear and tear. There's more than enough room for speakers.

Truth be told I've had more trouble out of manual. I've had them completely lock up before. And I've bought trucks where the manuals were already dead. I've had the handle break off... just about anything that can go wrong.

Also there was never any way to look cool operating manual windows LOL

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Mounting something better would be interesting as the odd ergonomics of the factory door panel matches everything else in the cab when it comes to changing or upgrading.

I'd like to find something lighted....if possible.

Been looking for this for awhile. Might eventually hire someone to design them. Then maybe sell enough copies to cover the cost. Finally have a normal plug for the back of the switch. And having them light up dimly would be an excellent idea.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Up until I got this silverado I always had manual, now you couldn't pay me to go back. These switches are the only problem outside normal wear and tear. There's more than enough room for speakers.

Truth be told I've had more trouble out of manual. I've had them completely lock up before. And I've bought trucks where the manuals were already dead. I've had the handle break off... just about anything that can go wrong.

Also there was never any way to look cool operating manual windows LOL
Get the Autolocs, ditch the factory switches altogether and look cool at the same time. BTW, how does a manual go dead?

saltdog

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Suburban
Engine Size
Clean all contacts, silicone grease and hope for best and be ready to replace again in a few years-yeah they basically suck

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Get the Autolocs, ditch the factory switches altogether and look cool at the same time. BTW, how does a manual go dead?

Never heard of Autolocs before till now

It has been over 10 years since I had to work on manuals. IIRC the little wheels wear out. Had one come loose and that's all she wrote, no more worky. Back in the day I rode in some friend's cars where a manual was stuck. They just lock up completely when they're broke.

Maybe that's from people not lubing them for 20 years

Found this one:

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic Suburban
In my opinion, Autolocs are great for retrofitting manual crank type to electric in order to keep the crank style look with electric windows. As stated by others, these OEM switches and the connector is trash. I have been taking a serious look at these billet switched from Summit. Upside, they will be easier to operate, look great (I have a Sierra classic with Alum trim and dash bezel). They also have a kit for all 4 doors (I have a burb). Downside: I will need to chop off the oem connector and add spade connectors (not a bad thing as far as I am concerned), the cost is the biggest downside.
For a truck I would use 2 single for the drivers side or see if they have a double.
Note: I have not verified the amperage yet.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/eli-99024?rrec=true

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic Suburban
Just looking at Summit again and I found these that might work great for a 2 door and kick the switches out at an angle instead of being flat againsyt the door panel. The cost is not bad but do not know any other specs on them. Just a thought for you but would need to cut the OEM connector off.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/eli-4990-10-421

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Just looking at Summit again and I found these that might work great for a 2 door and kick the switches out at an angle instead of being flat againsyt the door panel. The cost is not bad but do not know any other specs on them. Just a thought for you but would need to cut the OEM connector off.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/eli-4990-10-421

Maybe just take the switches out and make your own little panel. Would look pretty good if the little panel you made was chrome, just like the factory switches. I think that's a key part of this, making it look as though it might have come that way from the factory.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Never heard of Autolocs before till now

It has been over 10 years since I had to work on manuals. IIRC the little wheels wear out. Had one come loose and that's all she wrote, no more worky. Back in the day I rode in some friend's cars where a manual was stuck. They just lock up completely when they're broke.

Maybe that's from people not lubing them for 20 years

Found this one:

these are good style to use because they match the switches GM went to after the ones the OP is referencing, but they faced upward not inward

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holdennaz09