Howdy from Iowaaaah

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
Howdy all,
Slowly getting back into life after devoting years to my job. Those year didn't yield much for me except missing years of my life.

I have one 75 or something Chevy 4-wheel drive which is turning out to be a PITA and is currently under review for whether it will ultimately RIP in a salvage yard or whether it is worthy of my time and devotion. I believe there are parts of the cab such as the doors that are pre-76 and other parts that are post 80. It has a later year box on it too. It has a state issued VIN number so I have no clue. It also has about ten pounds or more of body putty all around the cab.

You must be registered for see images attach

PS- I am not 95 even though sometimes I feel like it. But my age is my business until I decide to share it; I haven't decided to.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy! Whereabouts in Iowa are you? There's a ton of parts trucks at little yard in the Chariton area.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome: from
You must be registered for see images attach

P.S. no one is going to give you grief here about your age. We have young and old here. I say keep the truck, take your time redoing it. I know how old you are!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Keep it and fix it its the only way to go with these old trucks.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Howdy Neighbor.

And becuase you said that, Im going to assume your around my age, cause when first joining I did basically the same thing, except i just hid my age instead of changing it.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
Ah Hell! Busted! ;)

I'm not that terribly old and I do use my age to advantage at times. They say that with age comes wisdom, I'm the exception to that....

I didn't buy my first pickup truck until I was 23 years old, it was that '78 GMC 4wd swb I mentioned somewhere in here. It was five years old at the time I bought it. But it had been rolled over in a slow speed offroad incident and it had been changed substantially from stock before I got it. That truck was an awesome truck however after I transplanted the 3/4 ton rearend into it. I had to do something because I ripped apart two 12 bolt truck rearends in a row on the street. One of those was a rare four spider gear type too. Busted all four spiders in two from the torque I guess. I put the 14 bolt with the gov-lock in and tore it apart in the first year (brake job gone bad) and then put the next and final 14 bolt out of a van in it, also with the gov-lock. I really loved that gov-lock. It was great in snow country. Mine seemed to work perfectly as per specifications.

Prior to the '78 GMC I owned a '78 IH scout with the 348, Chrysler tranny (don't remember the number of it, it was the bigger and stronger one I guess) with 3.73 gears (don't remember the t-case either) but it had auto locking hubs up front with the manual override knob. They sucked. In auto mode it would pull forward, just hope that going forward didn't stop because they disengaged in reverse. It was a pain.

After the GMC went to a new loving owner in Colorado I had a Suzi Sammi we bought brand new the first year they came out, various Ford and Chevy 4wd's, a couple of CJ7's and my current Dodge 2500 and the aforementioned '75 something. I have never been without a 4wd vehicle for more than a year since I was 22 years old. I used the Scout, GMC, Sammi, CJ's, and one other Chevy a fair amount off road over the years. But the GMC was by F-A-R the most capable. It's only drawback was width. But that wasn't much of a concern in the type wheeling I did. Mostly river running and mud in Missouri and open mountain trails in Colorado after I moved there to the Vail area. Deep snow busting on Red and White Mountain for instance due north of Edwards.

So that's my story...

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
Howdy! Whereabouts in Iowa are you? There's a ton of parts trucks at little yard in the Chariton area.

Howdy Bucket,
I'm from the generalized area of NE Iowa. I'm about 25 miles north and west of W'loo/Cedar Falls. Chariton is a healthy drive for me. There was a very good self serve salvage about 10 miles from me but the guy that owned it was getting old and I haven't been there since I got this truck running about 7 years ago. I called there last week and got an answering machine...that's something I guess. Maybe by appointment only? I didn't talk to the machine. He was a dedicated 50- late eighties salvage yard for trucks and cars however that could have changed over the years.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

Stewzer55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Stew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
350 TBI
:welcome:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ah Hell! Busted! ;)

I'm not that terribly old and I do use my age to advantage at times. They say that with age comes wisdom, I'm the exception to that....

I didn't buy my first pickup truck until I was 23 years old, it was that '78 GMC 4wd swb I mentioned somewhere in here. It was five years old at the time I bought it. But it had been rolled over in a slow speed offroad incident and it had been changed substantially from stock before I got it. That truck was an awesome truck however after I transplanted the 3/4 ton rearend into it. I had to do something because I ripped apart two 12 bolt truck rearends in a row on the street. One of those was a rare four spider gear type too. Busted all four spiders in two from the torque I guess. I put the 14 bolt with the gov-lock in and tore it apart in the first year (brake job gone bad) and then put the next and final 14 bolt out of a van in it, also with the gov-lock. I really loved that gov-lock. It was great in snow country. Mine seemed to work perfectly as per specifications.

Prior to the '78 GMC I owned a '78 IH scout with the 348, Chrysler tranny (don't remember the number of it, it was the bigger and stronger one I guess) with 3.73 gears (don't remember the t-case either) but it had auto locking hubs up front with the manual override knob. They sucked. In auto mode it would pull forward, just hope that going forward didn't stop because they disengaged in reverse. It was a pain.

After the GMC went to a new loving owner in Colorado I had a Suzi Sammi we bought brand new the first year they came out, various Ford and Chevy 4wd's, a couple of CJ7's and my current Dodge 2500 and the aforementioned '75 something. I have never been without a 4wd vehicle for more than a year since I was 22 years old. I used the Scout, GMC, Sammi, CJ's, and one other Chevy a fair amount off road over the years. But the GMC was by F-A-R the most capable. It's only drawback was width. But that wasn't much of a concern in the type wheeling I did. Mostly river running and mud in Missouri and open mountain trails in Colorado after I moved there to the Vail area. Deep snow busting on Red and White Mountain for instance due north of Edwards.

So that's my story...
Welcome to GMSB !!!

I agree age isn't important here. We try not to make it an issue, but it is nice to know who we're dealing with ONLY if they're willing. Usually a kid, it shows, and usually the old timers, it shows. But then there is big gap in between. Doesn't really matter anyway. Seems the old guys know what's up from experience, and especially on these older truck, but the younger crowd had alot to bring to the table too since some of them are more current on the newer technology of ECMs, Injection, Turbos blah blah blah, so all ages work here and makes a good balance. Although Graybeard might be a hint. You've got me by a few years. Thankfully !!!

That 348 International Harvester engine would have had the 727 Torqueflite transmission behind it. Also used on some AMC products.

attachment.php

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome from SW Oklahoma! Keep the truck. And the age thing...it is what it is. I only wish my body would let me be as young as my mind thinks I am :)

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Were all gonna be old one day

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
Thanks everyone!

HotRodPC, The 727 is right, I remember now that it was the airplane tranny :)
Thanks. It's been a year or two since I owned it.

CoggedBelt75, That's the truth, as the song goes - I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was. I agree with the body thing and mind thing. So when my brain says do-it, my body says; screw it! They tell me that age is a state of mind... I can't find that state on the map...

MadOgre...nenner, nenner, neeenner! Beat you!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, the 727 is Dodge's Turbo 400 or Ford C6, the Dodge 904 is the Chevy Th350 or Ford C4.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
Yup, I was having an 'elderly' moment...LOL. But in my defense, I did say it was a year or so since I owned it. :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub