How to Remove Steering Knuckle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Support the vehicle on the frame back of the spring shackles and where it will be solidly safe.

You must be registered for see images attach

let the jack down so the differential is at the lowest level attainable,this is to give more swing room while hammering within the fender wells.
Now, jack the differential up until it almost lifts the frame from off of the jack stand behind the spring shackle.
Now, place another jack stand or some very solid blocking under the axle tube yoke that the steering knuckle pivots on.The more solid the blocking the less give there will be when hammering on the knuckle.
While hammering, keep a watch on the jack stand/ blocking under the yoke as it will tend to try and slide inwards, caused from the vibration and the slope of the yoke.reset as necessary.
Keep the jack under the axle for safety purposes.It would be more safe with a jack stand but the jack stand under the yoke needs to be reset,so,it is handier for Me to use the jack for safety.Your choice.

The Tools : a good larger size hammer, I think a four pounder would work the best,This hammer I think is rating at a three pound and it does work quite well.
The Punches are made of round stock, the larger diameter punch {1"}is OK but the smaller diameter punch{3/4"} fits between the knuckle and the yoke better, where it needs to be placed on the inwards side.
All pounding is done at the lower ball joint surfaces of the knuckle.
It takes quite a bit of pounding and be carefull You do`nt miss the punch as is evidenced by the blood on the floor.:evillol:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I put this up for the guy that was having trouble knocking out them steering knuckles,or for anyone else needing to perform this operation.
Without solid blocking under them axle tubes,right under the end yokes,makes it tougher as it allows the flex of the tube to absorb the shock of the pounding, instead of the yoke itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d