How to add cruise to truck built without?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tadkingnkc

Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 5.0
I already have a multifunction lever switch with cruise control compatibility. What other items are required to convert a vehicle without cruise to make it functional? Forgive me if this has been discussed but I cannot find reliable info. Thanks.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Not sure what all is needed to do it with factory parts except the Servo box and cable, but Dakota Digital sells complete kits for about $400

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And this great forum strikes again!
Literally 2 viable options from knowledge helpful folks in the first 2 replies!

tadkingnkc

Reaction score
First Name
Tad
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Check out Rostra 250-3357. It’s what I'm going to use.
Doppelgänger, that’s the part I already have on hand. I am needing to know what else I need to install it on a truck that did not have factory cruise. I have heard that I need some sensor, servo, and throttle link but cannot find anything detailed to tell me.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Major parts are
- switches on the turn signal stalk to turn on/off, set speed, etc.
- controller box with the electronics; usually under the dash
- vacuum servo with cable in a smooth loop running to the carb linkage; adapter/bracket to connect the cable to the linkage; usually mounted on top of drivers side inner fender.
- Almost forgot the speed sensor. Usually they are mounted inline with the speedometer cable. Some of the old inexpensive add-on cruise controls used two magnets and a sensor near the driveshaft. Magnets are glued on the driveshaft and eventually come off - not a great solution.

Most of these throttle connectors are designed so they can pull, but not push the throttle cable. That allows free back and forth movement of the throttle when cruise control is not engaged. Sometimes the last section of the cable is a beaded chain like you have on a lamp pull-chain.
- electric switch on brake pedal to turn off cruise control when braking
- vacuum switch for brake pedal. This switch dumps vacuum from the servo so it immediately releases the throttle when you brake.

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I used the Rostra universal cruise kit on my 81 GMC. I used a speedo head from a truck with factory cruise, you also need the speed buffer ( greed box with a small ribbon cable) that plugs into the speed sensor.

You also need the matching plug for the factory cruise lever.

Depending on what year truck you have, the speed sensor parts might already be there.

If you need some pics, I can take some tomorrow

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
off topic but...so easy to install cruise on LS swap...wish can be easy to retro fit in oem gaz engine style ;)

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I was going to say Rostra, but I see it was already mentioned. I will be using Rostra on Crusty Biscuit when It get it going again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod